Clothing in buenos aires

I've found that there are tons of great casual mens shoes here for decent prices (300-400) that are really comfortable. As mentioned above, one of the few bargains here are leather products.
I don't think that's actually that cheap. I could get leather shoes for around that price in Australia very easily, and decent quality. Plus a range of non-leather casual shows around the $50/60 mark that are cool/decent quality. Here I finally found something I liked for around 200 pesos, which is around what I would have paid for a similar shoe in Australia. And yet the average income here isn't anywhere near Australia's, so for the locals even more expensive! Certainly doesn't seem on par with earning capacity here.

argentinabound4 said:
Thanks for all the help! So what do women normally wear out at night to dinner/dancing? I'm trying to limit my clothing since we will be traveling around South America for a few months after living in BA. I'm thinking about bringing a pair of heels and a couple nice outfits and/or dress up cotton basics with jeans... is that the norm? I want to at least attempt to fit in.

When going out dancing, they don't wear much - which should help you with how much weight you will be carrying around ;)

Plan on bringing all of your clothes from your country of origin. Especially shoes, socks, and underwear, all of which are crazy expensive and bad quality.

Why you may ask? 50% tariffs on imported goods.

Yep. I really don't understand how the locals can afford shopping clothes here, 300-400 pesos for shitty 100% polyester or acryl o whatever-horrible-material-dress! The knitwear is mostly acryl as well and cotton shirts just don't exist. I bought socks (20 pesos each pair), wore then 4-5 times and both of them have holes now.
And that's pretty much all the clothing I've bought, I'm rather naked than shop carments that can't be used more than two times.

But! Leather goods. Bags, shoes, belts, wallets... Good deals!

Black leggings seem to be all the rage this winter. And those long open sweaters with no buttons.

I don't understand the clothing prices, either. They seem out of reach for the average person's salary. Even the prices at the local weekend market aren't that cheap compared to what I could get in the US at a more reputable store.

This seems like terrible news for me...

Unfortunately, the lavanderia shrunk just about ALL of my clothes yesterday. I just arrived a few weeks ago with about seven brand new sweaters, and I can maybe still wear three of them...

Any recommendations (I'm desperate people) for a place for reasonably priced men's winter clothing would be more than welcomed!

sundae said:
I don't understand the clothing prices, either. They seem out of reach for the average person's salary. Even the prices at the local weekend market aren't that cheap compared to what I could get in the US at a more reputable store.

Exactly. The quality is poor and the prices are ridiculously high. So how do the majority of the people here manage to stay so well dressed? Where are they buying their clothes and how are they affording it?

Back