Clothing in buenos aires

uh123b said:
This seems like terrible news for me...

Unfortunately, the lavanderia shrunk just about ALL of my clothes yesterday. I just arrived a few weeks ago with about seven brand new sweaters, and I can maybe still wear three of them...

Any recommendations (I'm desperate people) for a place for reasonably priced men's winter clothing would be more than welcomed!

If I were you I'd make the most of the sales and just pick up a couple more sweaters in one of the shoppings or along Cabildo or Santa Fe. Rever Pass usually has reasonably priced mens clothing. Its pretty casual and the quality is average (but no worse than anywhere else). Kevingston usually has decent sweaters too.

As for the laundry places, you have to really emphasise that they should NOT put your sweaters, wool or any delicate items into the dryer otherwise everything gets chucked in and fried. They usually wash with cold water so its only really the dryer you have to beware of. I once got two wool-mix sweaters delivered back to me half their former size, sprayed with water and covered in an ammonia powder (that had eaten holes into the fabric). Bought a washing machine.

I'll just be prepared to bring clothing that I'll know I'll need to throw away at the end of our year adventures due to wearing them too much!

Just to throw this out there: IF anyone is in desperate need of something (10 pairs of socks, 10 pairs of Hanes underwear, or whatnot) and willing to pay a little extra for my time shopping and packing considerations, PM me and I wouldn't mind packing some extra things for you to buy back from me! I'll be in BA in September.

Pumssi said:
But! Leather goods. Bags, shoes, belts, wallets... Good deals!
So all they need to do is start making leather underwear, socks & t-shirts and we'll all have clothing that lasts!! ;)

Hop said:
Exactly. The quality is poor and the prices are ridiculously high. So how do the majority of the people here manage to stay so well dressed? Where are they buying their clothes and how are they affording it?

La Salada
night.jpg

ReemsterCARP said:
La Salada
night.jpg

Ah yes, quality meets budget! What a find! Is La Salada in the Buenos Aires guidebooks? Because it should be!

Pumssi said:
I bought socks (20 pesos each pair), wore then 4-5 times and both of them have holes now.

Next time just buy those three pairs for ten pesos from the dudes on the street. My husband bought some eight months ago and they are still going strong (ish). At least, if they get holes quickly, you won't have spent so much money on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0vSAuS2oo&feature=related

Here is a youtube clip of La Salada. I think the video gives a more accurate idea than the pictures. This is the 2nd part of a video about the feria. I am sure there are good deals there but, I think it has been mentioned here before that it isn´t very safe for foreigners. I am someone who generally doesn´t feel unsafe in this city but, I wouldn´t go here. I think even many porteños would stand out too much in this crowd. My friends here wouldn´t dare step foot in La Salada. Not that everyone there is dangerous (I am sure for many it is really the only decent shopping option) but, the place doesn´t really have security (as spoken about in the video). Also, a lot of the products are fake, and many are broken or otherwise damaged.

I asked my Argentine boyfriend if he had ever heard of La Salada, and he has... he also said it's a place where he'd never go due to it being unsafe.

We have places in Sydney where many [white] Sydney-siders don't go due to "safety issues", yet they're just fine in the day time.

Locals aren't always right.

Back