Colonia Hotel Recommendations?

talktalk

Registered
My mom is coming to visit to me and would like to go over to Colonia. Can anyone recommend a place to stay where a good personal experience was had? Thanks!

There are a few considerations here. If you will have a car, you can consider the better modern hotels that are outside town - the Unique Colony and the Sheraton are both quite nice and well-equipped with spas, pools, etc. Without a car, these places aren't worth considering.

I've stayed at the Posada Plaza Mayor, which is dead-center in the historic part of town and reasonably comfortable. It's in a 200+year-old building where the rooms are arranged around a garden with a little fountain. Because of this, the rooms tend to be darkish but still atmospheric, with original stone walls and high ceilings.

There are some more luxurious in-town inns with pools and such that are a few-to-several blocks outside the prime historic district. If your mom is up to walking sometimes difficult cobblestone streets, there are a number of options you can find on tripadvisor or another travel site.

Finally, the Radisson is modern, well-equipped, and in-town, about 5 blocks from the historic center, overlooking the river near the marina. I've never stayed there, so I can't comment on the condition of the rooms.

I've had lovely stays at the Posada del Gobernador, very simple but lovely service and a good atmosphere. Right on the border of the old town.
Also, recently took the whole family to Hotel Leoncia, it looks like nothing special from the outside but it's actually really nice and really big inside. They have an indoor heated swimming pool, solarium, breakfast room with lovely breakfast, we enjoyed it.

Excellent! Thanks jimdepalermo and AngelinBA. I'll take a look at your recommendations and see what I can find in good old Colonia based on what you've both mentioned.

I know a Brasilien photographer who has an amazing photography studio on the main plaza with views overlooking the famous lighthouse. His studio is amazing!!! He sells such things as original walt disney lps from the 30's and toy cars etc etc.

He has a b&b above the studio which he and his wife run it and he is a perfect host with amazing travel stories.

email him at
Eduardo Alvares [email protected]

Back