Common Attire

Threads like these -- what do I wear? Will I look like a tourist? Where should I eat? On and on. Are these from people who have never been farther afield than Topeka? Or Cheltenham? This is kind of silly, isn't it? Wear what you wear, eat what you eat, go where you want to go, and stop worrying about all this trivial BS. This is not frigging Mars!

HDM said:
Threads like these -- what do I wear? Will I look like a tourist? Where should I eat? On and on. Are these from people who have never been farther afield than Topeka? Or Cheltenham? This is kind of silly, isn't it? Wear what you wear, eat what you eat, go where you want to go, and stop worrying about all this trivial BS. This is not frigging Mars!

Before I came down her for "2 months", I asked my friend who returned 2 days before
- "What should I take down?"
- "What kind of shoes?"

I think that they're pertinent questions. You don't want to bring everything you own down here, but you also don't want to come down here and half to buy something almost immediately if you don't want to.

DON'T tuck in your shirt, unless you are going to be in an office.
JEANS are everywhere, year-round, nice restaurants included. (Though you can go nicer.)

Napoleon said:
DON'T tuck in your shirt, unless you are going to be in an office. JEANS are everywhere, year-round, nice restaurants included. (Though you can go nicer.)

Some men do not like wearing their shirt tails out. That's OK here, too. I see lots of Argentine men wearing jeans with their shirts tucked in...especially in Recoleta. Wear whatever you like. No one else cares, anyway.

It would be nice if the Naked Cowboy from Times Square or the Bushman from San Francisco would visit this city.
Their taste and style would really stand out in this city.
There is no need to worry about blending in because everyone here does not wear the same uniform. Common sense works well in daily life.
Get dressed, walk out the door and enjoy this beautiful city.

Napoleon said:
You don't want to bring everything you own down here, but you also don't want to come down here and half to buy something almost immediately if you don't want to.

It amuses me when the notorious grammar/spelling "ball-breakers" make mistakes in their posts. I believe this should be have, right Napoleon?? Perhaps now you can step down from your self-proclaimed spelling snobbery?

Napoleon said:
I recommend:

DON'T MESS
WITH TEXAS

T-Shirts. They always go over well in foreign countries.

IMG_0476.jpg
I am sure no one will think you are a Yanqui:D

HDM - yeah, exactly. people need to relax and stop trying to be exactly like everyone else... with their looks, what they eat, where they go, etc... all that does is make you a boring ROBOT. just be YOU. :)

If you want to fit in dont shave for a week prior to coming, wear a tattered Argentina futbol jersey, jean shorts and some havaiinas

allcraz said:
It amuses me when the notorious grammar/spelling "ball-breakers" make mistakes in their posts. I believe this should be have, right Napoleon?? Perhaps now you can step down from your self-proclaimed spelling snobbery?
I will admit my mistakes and continue my grammar beat down. That's what I grew up with and that's what I've been trained to do.

It absolutely should be "HAVE", but I won't correct it so that your post makes sense.

Keep on policing!

dear hdm, i read your comments and really, not very nice. i work as a flight attendant and i know that its very important to be sensitive culture wise with every country you go to, so someone asking what is appropriate to wear isnt an absurd question at all... it could mean the difference between getting robbed or not, offending the locals or not.. so keep your pants on hdm!

if someone has a question that you deem silly or irrelevant... who cares...

Back