Common courtesy in Buenos Aires

Rescueme

Registered
There are some things that I just don’t understand here in this city that I live. I have had many experiences with porteños that would lead to justifiable homicide in some parts of the U.S.A. What I don’t get is how the citizens of Buenos Aires have a total disregard for each other as if that is the way things are supposed to be. Not only, Not only do they let their dogs sh1t on the sidewalk but they turn the other cheek when they sh1t on each other.

This Sunday morning my dumb ass family next door plays her music at 0900 in the morning. Of course it is loud enough for the whole building to hear it but no one says anything about it. If I knew how to speak dumb a$$ I would have been there telling them to shove it up their ass. But what surprises me is the fact that no one says a damn thing to these asses because it is the way life is here.

No one say anything because most likely they too like to crank the music up every now and then.

If its an everyday thing then yes it becomes a problem, but every no and then, and on a sunday, whats the big deal?

fedecc said:
No one say anything because most likely they too like to crank the music up every now and then.

If its an everyday thing then yes it becomes a problem, but every no and then, and on a sunday, whats the big deal?

Look slick, are you a product of the public education system here? 0900 on Sunday morning is too frigging early to crank the music for everyone to hear!!!

fedecc said:

RescueMe said:
Look slick, are you a product of the public education system here? 0900 on Sunday morning is too frigging early to crank the music for everyone to hear!!!

Yep it is, if you live as a bat and go to bed at 4-5am then could be a nuisance for anyone, but for the porteños/argies Sunday is a family day to enjoy at full, have an asado with friends or family, go to soccer, play any sport, or just enjoy the Sunday as should be, not in bed until 2-3pm.

That said, if this behavior is continuos every Sunday or day of the week then you can complaint to the consorcio/management to have that observed/investigated.

Lucas said:
...That said, if this behavior is continuos every Sunday or day of the week then you can complaint to the consorcio/management to have that observed/investigated.

First - instead, as in the US, calling the cops for almost an in ground tunnel in your left toe- talk to your neighbors. If they don't get it, call your building's "administrador" and complain with him/she.

kikedeolivos said:
calling the cops for almost an in ground tunnel in your left toe

I might call the cops if I have a tunnel in my toe just to have them direct traffic. And here i would only call a cop if I ran out of cigarettes and needed to bum one.

Lucas said:
Yep it is, if you live as a bat and go to bed at 4-5am then could be a nuisance for anyone, but for the porteños/argies Sunday is a family day to enjoy at full
And the other 20 families living in the building? Is the mentailty here, "fun with my family and to HELL with everyone else." It is about respect for others. And the fact that I am explaining it to you means that you just don't get it!

Well, if you do not do anything about it, why complain in the first place? Not that you even gave it a try... Having said that I am not a bat ( get up at 6 am every day mom to mon and I would not be happy with loud music at 9am on a Sunday either...

If you can identify the neighbor you are at an advantage. At least you can talk to this person. I had a neighbor who constantly played loud music. I spoke to her many times. After knocking on her door and asking her to turn the music down she would comply - for a few minutes. Then the music would go back to its normal level. I find that's the pattern in many good restaurants/cafes too. Someone turns the music on loud - always rock or pop - you ask that it be turned down. They turn it down a little for a few minutes then it goes back up to its former level! Anyway, I suggest that you speak to your neighbor and even write a letter. Keep a record of the dates and times of the annoyances so that you can write to the administrator of your building. It's not completely hopeless. In my building a neighbor had an incredibly noisy dog. Once I met the dog owner's next door neighbor, a young Argentine woman. She was crying and explained that it was because of the dog. HEr nerves were shattered. Seems her complaints to the portero fell on deaf ears as he was friendly with the owner of the apartment (it was rented to the dog owner) and never reported the annoyances. She found this out when she finally got the owner's telephone number and called him. He had had no idea that there was a problem. Fortunately renewal of the lease was coming up and the owner decided not to renew it. I sometimes have a bigger problem as neighbors in another building have a large terrace that they use for parties from time to time. When this happens a bunch of young professional types gather to scream their heads off, play music at maximum volume and generally disturb everyone within the 'manzana'. WHY people have to behave so badly is beyond me. Lots of people have to be bothered but the culture seems to be one of tolerance for this type of behavior, the same tolerance one sees in really nice restaurants when couples come in with crying babies and fidgity kids at 11 PM or even later!

Back