Compare prices in with BA and ....

Wooow that site's Bs As prices need some serious updating. 2400 pesos rent for an 85 sq meter furnished apt in an expensive area of the city?? hahahaha :D

I put in my 2 cents for the items I buy...

The fact that most of you is paying too much for rent doesn´t mean that is the price most of us pay. 2400 pesos is more or less right. If you pay more is your problem, not the website´s.

2,400 pesos will buy you a closet in San Telmo.......I think Mark needs to redefine 'most of us'........or if he has all the great deals......tell these where they are at!

2500 also gets you 80m2, two bedrooms and two bathrooms in las canitas.

Most people living here don't pay short term tourist rental prices for their accommodation.

I'd love to see Mark's Baires. The apartments, restaurants, bars, at the prices he speaks of. Mark, PM me and let's see the city on your terms. Our treat!

marksoc said:
The fact that most of you is paying too much for rent doesn´t mean that is the price most of us pay. 2400 pesos is more or less right. If you pay more is your problem, not the website´s.

By "most of us," I assume you mean locals with an access to a garantia? K, that's nice for you and all, but the website is called "Expatistan." So the prices should reflect what most EXPATS pay, and I dare you to find me a furnished, well-located apt. for $600 USD per month.

jp said:

Not bad, and a nice view from the balcony. I'd say that the challenge was more or less met in theory. But I have a few small quibbles.

1) I'm assuming that the expat website also assumes that "rent" includes building expenses (which in this case are $600 pesos a month on top of the $2300 pesos rent, plus other expenses--a lot of "furnished" rental prices include all the expenses, including building, cable, internet, light, gas, etc., but this is also why they're a lot more expensive off the top, which this would be too if they were to include the 'hidden' costs).

2) The living room has a couch and a dining table/chairs. There is no coffee table or tv. there is maybe a CD player that's sitting on the floor. "Furnished" is a widely interpretable word, but doesn't always mean comfortable or fully equipped. The bedroom nightstands do not have lamps. If you wanted to make this place more comfortable, you'd have to shell out more money. There is also no picture of whether there is a placard or other type of storage for things like clothes, shoes, suitcases, etc. The kitchen is tiny, and who can say how well equipped it really is with pots/pans/cutlery, etc.

3) What's more, this apartment is listed through a real estate agency which will want 1-2 months rent in commission depending on the length of the lease, which bumps the price considerably.

4) 48m2 (or 53 including a balcony) is not 85m2. Nor is it a two bedroom which is what the expat website stated you could get, furnished, for $2400 pesos. The apartment posted is technically half the apartment that is being touted as readily available here, and if you look at the fine print it's actually quite a bit more expensive.

All said, this "2300" peso rental would cost a minimum of ~$3300 pesos/mo plus expenses like gas/light/cable/telephone/internet for a six month rental (only assuming a 1 month commission for 6months rental, the price would drop a couple hundred pesos a month for the same commission on a 1yr rental). That's ~$821 dollars not including the extras, and it's a small place.

These cost of living comparisons have been posted before and are generally criticized because not only are the prices generally inaccurate (I can buy cheaper clothes here than in the US?!), they do not reflect anything regarding local earning potential. So while, say, Seattle shows up as 60% more expensive than BA, my earning potential (in local wages of course) is much, much higher there.

jp said:

Plus $600 additional per month in expensas :(
I'm curious whether this is the price for foreigners without a garantia? Because we all know that affordable rates are still available to locals, but foreigners (especially those who arrive without knowing anyone or speaking much Spanish) may be forced to go through the short-term furnished rental market, and pay 2-3x the local rate.

Back