Computer in need of Fixing

You say you get sound when skype starts and closes. If you hear this both with and without headphones its not a hardware issue.

"Patricia Nonaka" <patricia@ accenthost.com>, She is an Expert at computers, English speaking and honest.
I have used her, she is ast and reasonably priced.

chica.expat said:
I've already tried looking through all sound options, turning it on and off, digging a bit deeper and haven't found anything. The headphone jack doesn't work. Here's the thing, I think it's some kind of settings issue, but just something I can't find. I had my brother take a look before leaving because he's a lot more tech-savvy than I am. He couldn't figure out the issue either.

The really strange thing is that no sound works EXCEPT for the start up and closing sounds of Skype. When I try to call someone with it though, nothing. When I try to use any other program, nothing. I've dug through sound settings in each of the programs that I really use sound for (iTunes, Chrome, Skype) and I can't figure it out. Hence why I'm reaching out for help.

I think you need to download the latest sound driver specific to your model of laptop...there could be many reasons as to why your sound device driver has become corrupt, one could be that the actual driver program/file could be sitting on a bad sector.. this could be interfering with the proper function of that driver program...so my advice is to do a 'disk surface check' as well.

I would also run a memory test in case there's a hidden memory module fault.

If the reason for the fault is a bad sector on the disk or bad RAM then even if you re-install a newer driver.. the sound will still malfunction. In this case you'll need to fix the bad sector with a special program like Hdd regenerator or change the faulty memory chip.

But I get a feeling that you just need to reinstall the sound driver.

Best of luck.

EDIT: Also, just in case, make sure you do a full restart so that you flush out any faulty memory instructions that stay in the system RAM. Memory instruction errors that interfere with your system's driver functions can occur when you continuously put the system in sleep or standby mode.

chica.expat said:
The really strange thing is that no sound works EXCEPT for the start up and closing sounds of Skype. When I try to call someone with it though, nothing. When I try to use any other program, nothing. I've dug through sound settings in each of the programs that I really use sound for (iTunes, Chrome, Skype) and I can't figure it out. Hence why I'm reaching out for help.

If it is working a little bit then it probably is not broken. What happens when you go to Start>Control Panel>Sound and then the sounds tab and test the sounds that you have listed.

When all else fails, I try to update the sound driver. Usually it is a simple fix but it is simpler for those that fix these issues all the time. Good luck.

I contacted a guy throught ML and he came last night home. He fixed 3 laptops for 150 pesos, his eork was great.
His fee is 65 per computer but he did a better price.
15-3468-6128
He seems to be a good person.
Regards

if it becomes a component issue and if it still is in warranty i would go via dell...if it is a software or configuration issue i would be willing to take alook ...i admin the IT for a rep office that has been an all dell (at user not server) office for the last 8 years and all my own are dell and i think too it sounds like a configuration or driver issue. if you have sound anywhere even one as it opens skype then it is software or driver issue. if you feel confortable REMOVE the sound driver and then let windows find and download and install again...my guess is that wll clear it up
i live work in recoleta ....good luck

Back