Computer Software (Windows, Office, etc)

cavemanugh

Registered
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of buying a desktop here as my old computer is falling apart and i'll need to get some software for it.

I really don't want to buy an original windows, office etc.. because it will set me back a couple hundred bucks. Does any one know where to buy copied software? I know that DVD's are easy to get everywhere but I haven't seen software so far. If would be great if that person also had it in english, but for the moment, i'll take whatever i can get.

I do know that i could install opensource softwares like linux and openoffice but i'd like to use Microsoft as i'm most familiar with it.

Thanks,
Sam

Well you could just download the installers on your current computer and burn everything.
I have Vista, XP, Office, in english, wouldn't mind making copies of it if you need them, I'm guessing you know how to install everything, right?

Also, you can get pirate copies of almost anything at Parque Rivadavia, in Caballito, at the little market, but most of it is in spanish

Try Galeria Jardin, Florida 537 - 30+ computer stores - hardware/software, they can build you a computer to your specifications and probably install a pirated copy of Windows at the same time. Shop around; they are much cheaper than Fravega, Compumundo etc..

http://www.galeria-jardin-bsas.com.ar/

www.corehardware.com.ar gave me the best deal - but that was 2 years ago.

A lot of the mini-shops in the galerias @ av. Santa Fe sell pirated software.

Hey guys

Believe me, I have no moral problem using Microsoft software without paying the hyper inflated cost of buying it, but it's really a lousy idea!
Without a registered copy, you will be unable to install the "service packs" (which of course are really bug fixes, and frequently are critically important to keep your computer secure) and, especially with XP (my hands-down favorite over Vista) many other applications, such as AVG anti-virus or Windows media player, will not run!

I know that, in the past, Linux has aquired the reputation of being cryptic and unfriendly, but I have been installing a version of Linux called Ubuntu on every computer I can, and it is GREAT!

Easy to install, even for a novice, and comes with practicaly every feature available with Windows, and many that are not. The interface is VERY windows-like, and the learning curve is practically nothing.
There are equivalent programs to Microsoft office (called Open Office), several messenger programs that work fine with MSM users, photoshop, and practically every windows app, all available for free!

It also does not have NEARLY the hardware hunger that Vista does, and will run quite happily on an old Pentium 4 (or even 3) if you have at least 256 megs of RAM memory (512 is better, of course).
Supports plug and play, and most wireless cards, although getting a particular card wireless card to work was one time when I had to wrestle a little. I got it though, so I can help anyone who might be having a problem with that.

Ubuntu is available online for free, and I will happily give a CD to anyone who wants to try it out!
It is NOT perfect, some windows games and other programs won't work under any flavor of Linux (although many will), but it is WAY more stable and secure then any microsoft product (the threat of viruses is practicaly non-existant, for example!)

I am NOT a Linux expert, but I will happily help with any support issues that I can.

Best Regards,

Hey guys

Believe me, I have no moral problem using Microsoft software without paying the hyper inflated cost of buying it, but it's really a lousy idea!
Without a registered copy, you will be unable to install the "service packs" (which of course are really bug fixes, and frequently are critically important to keep your computer secure) and, especially with XP (my hands-down favorite over Vista) many other applications, such as AVG anti-virus or Windows media player, will not run without the Service packs installed!

I know that, in the past, Linux has aquired the reputation of being cryptic and unfriendly, but I have been installing a version of Linux called Ubuntu on every computer I can, and it is GREAT!

Easy to install, even for a novice, and comes with practicaly every feature available with Windows, and many that are not. The interface is VERY windows-like, and the learning curve is practically nothing.
There are equivalent programs to Microsoft office (called Open Office), several messenger programs that work fine with MSM users, photoshop, and practically every windows app, all available for free!

It also does not have NEARLY the hardware hunger that Vista does, and will run quite happily on an old Pentium 4 (or even 3) if you have at least 256 megs of RAM memory (512 is better, of course).
Supports plug and play, and most wireless cards, although getting a particular card wireless card to work was one time when I had to wrestle a little. I got it though, so I can help anyone who might be having a problem with that.

Ubuntu is available online for free, you can buy a install CD from one of several distributors in BsAs for 12 pesos, or I will happily (and legally!) give a CD to anyone who wants to try it out!
It is NOT perfect, some windows games and other programs won't work under any flavor of Linux (although many will), but it is WAY more stable and secure then any Microsoft product (the threat of viruses is practicaly non-existant, for example!)
You can also install it (easily) on a windows machine in a dual-boot configuration that allows you to select your operating system on start up!

I am NOT a Linux expert, but I will happily help with any support issues that I can.

Best Regards,

Indeed, Ubuntu is a good alternative to windows, but not all windows software is compatible with Linux. For office and internet it should be fine.

Also, most computers you buy allready come with a pirated verion of windows installed, at least it was like that for me.

Back