Confused...

I have never renewed my visa. So effectively I could go downtown and renew my tourist visa and be within the structure and spirit of the law (as long as they don't suspect me of not being here as a tourist)...?

An 90 day tourist visa which has expired can be "renewed" (extended) ONCE for 90 more days if you ask for the prorroga de permanencia (extension of stay) within 30 days after the 90 day visa expired. Unless there have been recent changes in the amounts, in addition to the $300 fee for the extension, an extra "fee" of $150 pesos will be charged.

DO NOT go to migraciones and ask for an extension more than 30 days after your 90 day tourist visa has expired.

So I gave more thought to this whilst I was at the gym. Let me test my assumptions here...

The legislation is very clear around 90 days stay for a tourist on a tourist visa and is very clear that the tourist has a right to extend this for a further 90 days in any one given year (defined from when they first enter the country) provided their purpose in Argentina is touristic. The law, however, is ill-defined when it comes to exiting and entering the country within that 90 day period; effectively, you get a new 90 day stamp each time you enter the country. Some have taken advantage of this and have used it (perfectly legitimately) as an opportunity to extend their stay in Argentina. In recent months, it seems that the customs officials (possibly directed possibly not) have exercised their power to eject or deny entrance based on the 'suspicion' that the person is not a 'legitimate' tourist.

If you stay over 90 days you are directly violating the immigration laws. If you stay over 180 days, you are (in the short term) taking advantage of the weak and ill-defined legislation and (in the long term) increasing the probability that at some time you will be questioned by immigration officials of your intentions and status as a 'tourist' in Argentina.

Am I loosely in the ball park here?

One size does not fit all.. In my situation, where Argentina is simply a place to stay (a "visa run") when I am not staying at my house in Brazil, it makes sense for me not to directly violate the law (overstay 90 days) but to 'interpret' it and have a renewed 90 day tourist visa through border crossings). Others, who see Argentina as more of a permanent arrangement, may come to other conclusions and strategic approaches.

Give me some feedback folks.. have I finally got my head around this 'more or less' arrangement...?

Well, some people are here on a tourist visa since 5, 6, 7, 8 or +10 years. Maybe you worry too much? (which is understandable).

Not a big issue I guess for your situation, enjoy life!

An 90 day tourist visa which has expired can be "renewed" (extended) ONCE for 90 more days if you ask for the prorroga de permanencia (extension of stay) within 30 days after the 90 day visa expired. Unless there have been recent changes in the amounts, in addition to the $300 fee for the extension, an extra "fee" of $150 pesos will be charged.

DO NOT go to migraciones and ask for an extension more than 30 days after your 90 day tourist visa has expired.

Thanks for this. So effectively there is provision within the law to stay in one entry year 210 days...? 90+30+90.

I entered Argentina on 13 January 2014
I left on 24 February 2014 to Brazil
A total of 43 days

I re-entered Argentina on 17 May 2014

This coming Friday I would have done 90 days under my current tourist visa stamp.

What I understand now is that I can legally go to immigration here in BA and request for an extension of 90 days? Correct?

Well, some people are here on a tourist visa since 5, 6, 7, 8 or +10 years. Maybe you worry too much? (which is understandable).

Not a big issue I guess for your situation, enjoy life!

He He... This is happening to me a lot.. I am bringing a North European perspective to a South American culture. This is why I am taking time to live in South America- three ex-wives have told me that I am too much hard work and bordering on the anal retentive; feedback that I at least recognise and am trying to de-programme.

He He... This is happening to me a lot.. I am bringing a North European perspective to a South American culture. This is why I am taking time to live in South America- three ex-wives have told me that I am too much hard work and bordering on the anal retentive; feedback that I at least recognise and am trying to de-programme.

Too.much.info.

Back