Conmen On Mercadolibre Getting More Creative.

nlaruccia

Registered
There have been previous posts on the topic of Mercadolibre and scams, and I found this one particularly intriguing and hopefully it will informative for those who sell items via Mercadolibre. An acquaintance of mine sold his iPhone 5 on Mercadolibre. The buyer agreed to make a direct deposit into the seller's bank account. He was at work and his wife called him to notify him that she checked his bank account on-line and that the deposit was made. The buyer, an older man, showed up to pick up the iPhone and showed the seller the deposit slip from the ATM. The next day he found out that the money wasn't in his account. It turns out that when his wife called him, she didn't think to tell her husband that the deposit was pending. The buyer deposited an empty envelope in the ATM. Some ATMs allow you to put the bills directly into them and the machine counts them and your account is credited immediately whereas as other ATMs allow you to put the money into an envelope and slip it into the machine.

Oops. I misspelled the title: it should say con man. I don't want to get backfire for my grammar.

"Con men" would be appropriate - I'm sure there are more than one out there.

This just happened to a colleague at work. They JUST called her from the bank telling her the envelope was empty. An iPhone 5s 32gb free-willingly out of her hands... thought I'd bump it if it helps anyone else out. DO NOT sell costly items to users without a reputation! And if someone says they're going to deposit money, make sure the transaction has gone through!

Back