Considering BA as an early retirement option

I would add trying to find a plumber or electrician you have to be very selective cause they may rob you.

You get what you pay for.

If you live in a high quality building with porteros, cameras and alarms, its unlikely they would attempt so.

If you hire high quality technicians with high "aranceles" and pay well, it is unlikely they would try anything strange.

If you join forums like this others or the others which are on facebook. Then you ask for recommendations, you would come across "usually" trusted recommendations. I use the word "usually" with caution, because one time, I had hired a maid on recommendation of a stranger on facebook forum and that maid robbed me of my cutlery in small doses till I became aware. Nothing too violent or bizarre. But no one can be trusted. A little bit of common sense, learning body language, using self awareness and awareness of people ( not only what they say) but their tone, facial expressions, body language will make it easy to detect potential criminals.

When people say the crime here is bad, then where is it not bad? If the point of comparison is Geneva, Switzerland, then maybe. But among South American cities of comparable size BA has the lowest crime rate with the exception of Santiago, and overall, Argentina is still one of the safest countries in LATAM.

When people say the crime here is bad, then where is it not bad? If the point of comparison is Geneva, Switzerland, then maybe. But among South American cities of comparable size BA has the lowest crime rate with the exception of Santiago, and overall, Argentina is still one of the safest countries in LATAM.
Lot of people have never really seen the world. Maybe USA, UK, Canada, Australia or Western Europe and perhaps slums of provincias of Buenos Aires or Rio or occasional Bangkok or Mexico or Medellin..and the complains start coming.

Last edited:
Thats true. I also believe that Argentina in general and Capital are relatively safe.

Statistically speaking, I always find it "relatively safe" if the murder rate of a country is below 5 (per 100'000), which is about the case with Argentina. I don't have the details of Capital and Gran Buenos Aires, but I assume that Capital is much better off then the province.

Thats true. I also believe that Argentina in general and Capital are relatively safe.

Statistically speaking, I always find it "relatively safe" if the murder rate of a country is below 5 (per 100'000), which is about the case with Argentina. I don't have the details of Capital and Gran Buenos Aires, but I assume that Capital is much better off then the province.
In Argentina either live in good or upper middle class neighborhoods of Capital or other cities such as Salta, Jujuy, Bariloche, Ushuaia, Mendoza. The provincias..maybe Olivos or Vincente Lopez. Thats it. I would not live in Callester or Lanus, or Lujan or Quilmes or Avalleneda etc

If anybody needs an honest electrician or plumber in the city PM me. I’ve known them both for years. They’re both super smart and very good at what they do. They won’t try to rip you off or scam you. The electrician lives in Chacarita area. The plumber has a storefront in Constitucion. They both have cars so they get around the city. They don’t speak English. They have WhatsApp, so I just take a picture of the job and ask them how much it’s going to cost me.

Last edited:
Seems to me that people will form their opinions around their personal experiences, part of what Ceviche says is true but never the less , sometimes living in a ''safe'' area will give you that false sense of security and normally those are the people easier to rob, or kidnap or worse. I read above someone mentioned common sense and awareness of your surroundings is vital, not only in argentina but anywhere you go.
I think what is very sad here, is once you are victimized , chances of any type of justice or punishment for the criminals is minimal at best, leaving you with that helpless feeling that in most cases you can never recover from. After all , is not like you can defend yourself here because that'd put the criminal's life in danger and violate his human rights.....

If what I heard in that interview conducted by Michael Moore (someone posted here) is true, the virus will be around for YEARS. That means that there will be NO social life, no amusements, none of the things that attract people to Argentina, so why would someone volunteer to live in Argentina under such conditions?

If what I heard in that interview conducted by Michael Moore (someone posted here) is true, the virus will be around for YEARS. That means that there will be NO social life, no amusements, none of the things that attract people to Argentina, so why would someone volunteer to live in Argentina under such conditions?
For the challenge and the adventure.

I doubt Argentines will let a virus interfere with their huggie-kissie habits, or with their love of massing together for birthdays, weddings, or Sunday asados.

Back