Container/afip/customs

I don´t think you could get sued for abandoning something at customs. My best advice would be to contact an Intl Moving company, and ask them what common practice is, etc. They should be able to tell you right away if there is anything you should do, and what, etc.

I expect that, eventually, they might confiscate and sell the contents. Whether they would do so officially is another question entirely.

The boxes that were brought under your name, were yours or you were a victim of identity theft?

@phllipDT-
I don't think I do have the receipt or anything else now. It was 6 years ago.

@nikad-
The company for my container did most things ok. I paid them to do the move and get things in. They used this agent in BA. Too many things for me to sort out alone so I paid a professional like most people would have done. Impossible to know that they haven't told me everything.
The boxes were from an int. moving company. somewhere in Oregon, portland possible. They are a freind of friend. The company told them they HAD to have someones name on the boxes who had a DNI and they used mine assuming I wouldn't have a problem with it.

@Gringoboy-
Yes I think that is the same as me. It wasn't to AFIP. I paid it to the agent. I have just noticed a worn out stamp in my passport with a long number and "garantor" written next to it. Must be the container.

My friend seems to be getting nervous that I am leaving and suggest getting a new passport to leave on!!?? reading between the lines I think they think I will have a problem because of their boxes in customs.

My container is a different issue. But I keep wondering why I have not be invoiced if I do owe some money. Argentines are quick to get money they are owed so I would have thought AFIP would be right on the ball?

My friend seems to be getting nervous that I am leaving and suggest getting a new passport to leave on!!?? reading between the lines I think they think I will have a problem because of their boxes in customs.

Is your friend a drug lord?

I think your friends, who borrowed your identity should figure this out and ensure you will not have any issues. I don´t think you will have any issues leaving the country or coming back in just because you abandoned some boxes. Unless there is something in those boxes that could put you at risk, but if it is personal belongings, clothes, etc you should be fine. Unless there is a criminal cause or a problem with Migrations, you are free to come and go as far as I know the Constitution grants that right.

I sugest you do nothing. Perhaps it is a cold case.
Or you can go to the cámara federal en lo contencioso administrativo and ask by your name if there is a case or not.
Afip claims are notified to the address you gave them (domicilio fiscal) not to your real address.

I think it's that supposedly, if you brought stuff in, they stamp your passport so that when you leave the country you supposedly have to take it with you. But I don't really think they check on it. I got a new passport before I tested this theory out, but they did stamp mine with the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think your friends, who borrowed your identity should figure this out and ensure you will not have any issues. I don´t think you will have any issues leaving the country or coming back in just because you abandoned some boxes. Unless there is something in those boxes that could put you at risk, but if it is personal belongings, clothes, etc you should be fine. Unless there is a criminal cause or a problem with Migrations, you are free to come and go as far as I know the Constitution grants that right.

Actually if you are a resident and owe money and have a legal judgement against you, you can't leave the country (in theory) until you pay the debt. That's probably why the OP's friend talked about using a different passport. I've never actually believed that the system was efficient enough that Migraciones would known when you left the country that you owed money and stop you but in theory, that's how it works.

@PhilipDT--haha....no. Nothing illegal fortunately.

@nikad- I ask them. I defiantly feel they know more than they are telling me. Nothing illegal, it is just personal things, clothes. But I wonder if the customs agent they dealt with has said something.

@Bajo-cero2- I take it that is in BA? I am in Mendoza at the moment. Can I go to my local AFiP do you think?

@ Tex- ok that makes sense. maybe i'll leave it in the sun for a while on that page........;)

@citygirl- I see. So how do I find out if there is a judgement? Same place as suggested by bajo-cero2?

I would like to know the size of the container you brought here(in feet) ,
from what port, and how much they charged you in USD.
By the way, they do charge you for packages left at Retiro (after 15 days or so), and at Dock Sud for containers (also after a few days without picking it up)

Back