Container/afip/customs

Actually if you are a resident and owe money and have a legal judgement against you, you can't leave the country (in theory) until you pay the debt. That's probably why the OP's friend talked about using a different passport. I've never actually believed that the system was efficient enough that Migraciones would known when you left the country that you owed money and stop you but in theory, that's how it works.

Where does this come from?

@PhilipDT--haha....no. Nothing illegal fortunately.

@nikad- I ask them. I defiantly feel they know more than they are telling me. Nothing illegal, it is just personal things, clothes. But I wonder if the customs agent they dealt with has said something.

@Bajo-cero2- I take it that is in BA? I am in Mendoza at the moment. Can I go to my local AFiP do you think?

@ Tex- ok that makes sense. maybe i'll leave it in the sun for a while on that page........;)

@citygirl- I see. So how do I find out if there is a judgement? Same place as suggested by bajo-cero2?

Stay away from afip.
You have to find it out at caba if the boxes or the container arrived here.

It was a 20' container. I paid U$500 to an agent to get it through.
Now you said that I do remember m friend saying they had paid money for storage charges. They are trying to get it returned (after a year) to the US.

I asked you how much you paid for SHIPPING IT to Argentina, and from where!

I sugest you do nothing. Perhaps it is a cold case.
Or you can go to the cámara federal en lo contencioso administrativo and ask by your name if there is a case or not.
Afip claims are notified to the address you gave them (domicilio fiscal) not to your real address.

This is interesting.

The last time I moved it involved the sale of one property and the purchase of another. Several months after the move I received a letter from AFIP acknowledging that the new address was now my domicilio fiscal.

I (personally) did not request the change of my domicilio fiscal.

I wonder, was this done "automatically" as a result of the escritua or could it have been due to paperwork submitted by my accountant?

If it hadn't happened "automatically" as a result of the escritua, I also wonder what might happen if someone (especially a foreigner who isn't familiar with how AFIP works), sells a property in CF, buys another, does not notify AFIP of the change of the domicilio fiscal, and doesn't pay some tax owed (ITI fo example). They might never know they owe the tax and (subsequent) interest.

What actions could AFIP take in a case like this? Is there a chance the new property could be sold without the owner ever receiving any notification at the new address?

Is it possible for a foreigner to check their "status" with AFIP on line?

The reason I ask is because just last week I read about a woman in the USA who's house was sold at public auction and she (claims) she never received any notice of any taxes owed or of the sale itself. She always paid her taxes on time and in full, at least so she thought.

The tax lien that resulted in the sale of her house (while she was living in it) was less than seven dollars.

I've never head of anything like that happening in Argentina, but I wonder if it could. There haven't been many "horror" stories in the forum about AFIP and foreigners.

The only ones I remember are non-residents seeking "permission" to sell property and one individual who used his credit card to purchase airline tickets for friends (who paid him in cash) to get the "reward points" from his bank, creating a "nightmare" with AFIP.

The reason I ask is because just last week I read about a woman in the USA who's house was sold at public auction and she (claims) she never received any notice of any taxes owed or of the sale itself. She always paid her taxes on time and in full, at least so she thought.

The tax lien that resulted in the sale of her house (while she was living in it) was less than seven dollars.
Do you have a reference for this sale of a woman's house for a $7US debt?

Do you have a reference for this sale of a woman's house for a $7US debt?

Here are two:

http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/woman-loses-her-home-over-011453991.html

Predatory capitalism run amok, that's what the USA has become. Note how her 280K house was sold at tax auction for 116K, less than half its value.

I was 5 years behind on my property taxes, and San Diego County was charging me 18% interest on the unpaid balance. Think about that. Credit card interest rates, the rate for unsecured debt, being charged against the most secured debt possible, one based upon real property. It's not like one can pick up a house and abscond with it.

I wound up selling my house at the 5-year mark, taking what equity I had, and leaving the country. There is a time to throw in your cards and walk away from the game.

This is yet another sterling example of what is meant when we talk about the destruction of the middle class.

Back