Container Gardening / Balcony Gardening

I have been planning on growing chillies for ages, must get round to getting them in the ground, is now a good time to get the seeds down? Soil, that stuff that frenchie mentioned, some water and that's that? On the balcony with lots of sun?

Indeed D2B.

A very important thing here is that you choose a pot which is not black or dark, because of the sun & heat (burns the roots).
If you have fresh chile that you like, take some seeds out of them, put them on the soil, put a little bit of soil above (not much for Chili seeds I guess, like for tomatoes) and you're done.

I have had huge container gardens here and have noticed over the years less bees & butterflies. Always purchased starts from various garden stores. A friend just sent this. Think this year, I'll stick with making my own starts from seeds.
  • A first-of-its-kind pilot study reveals that more than half of garden plants attractive to bees sold at Home Depot and Lowe’s have been pre-treated with pesticides that could in fact be lethal to the bees
  • 50,000 bumblebees were recently found dead in a parking lot in Portland, Oregon. The pesticide dinotefuran, a so-called neonicotinoid, was found to have been applied to nearby trees
  • Last winter, beekeepers across the US reported losing anywhere from 40 percent to 90 percent of their hives, and many of the 6,000 almond orchard owners in California could not find enough bees to pollinate their almond trees this year
  • There are about 100 crop species that provide 90 percent of food globally and, of these, 71 are pollinated by bees. In the US alone, a full one-third of the food supply depends on pollination from bees

There's a lady who sits on Scalabrini Ortiz near the Coto at El Salvador and sells hot peppers. I'm pretty sure she sometimes has habaneros because I tried using half of a single pepper, no seeds, inner skin scraped (that I had an inkling was hot) in corn bread and it made my Argentine dinner companions cry and I couldn't finish a serving. I used to eat gochujong and kimchi nonstop, so it was totally unexpected to come across a pepper here that was inedible.

Back