contract for cell phone with data plan?

amat

Registered
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused on if I need a DNI in order to get a monthly service plan (not a prepaid)that includes 3G for my phone. I have an unlocked phone, so I only need the phone/data service. i'm hoping to stick with claro if possible, which is what i use for my prepaid.

Thanks!

Hi,

For us; Personal and Claro required DNIs for contract plans. Personal checked that our temp visa expiration was at least 12 months away. Claro took photocopies of the DNIs and required a bank account (direct debit), and also a Veraz credit report (Equifax).

Someone on another thread (I think it was mini) said that they were not required a DNI for a contract with Movistar.

I would suggest stopping by their offices and inquiring. I would not be surprised if you even get different answers/requirements from different offices within the same company.

There are several threads on the subject here. Try searching as well.

Good luck! :)

Yes, this is horrible. It took me 3 years to finally get a contract phone. Even with a DNI it is a pain to get a cell phone with a contract, without it I found it impossible. The best solution is to find a friend with a DNI and ask him to get a phone for you.

By the way, I recently bought an old Movicom SIM card (now owned by Movistar) which gives me a fixed land line number on my cell phone. I can receive phone calls for free and the person calling me only pays land line rates. What is even cooler about this is I have skype in with a number in the US. I have my skype in number forwarded to my movicom number in argentina and for 2.1 US cents a minute I can receive calls from the US to my cell phone and the quality is pretty good (as good as a US cell phone). What is also cool is that my clients in Buenos Aires call my land line number and don't even know that I am on the road... Unfortunately there aren't very many of these old Movicom numbers available. I paid 200 pesos for the SIM card, the movistar sales guy that sold it to me said that in order to keep the line active, I should charge 5 pesos every 3 months and avoid making outgoing calls (because those are expensive)...

I have a jailbroken Iphone, with unlimited internet through Claro.
Claro asks for a DNI + a debit/credit card. After 6 months have passed, it is possible to make a "cambio de titularidad" to someone else with a DNI while removing the debit/credit card.

It would be surprising if a company would take you without a DNI (in any case, they would ask for a national debit/credit card at least... meaning the "titular" has the DNI anyway).

I got a contract for my jailbroken Iphone w/ Claro without a DNI.They did ask for an extra deposit as well as proof of a 1 year rental agreement.
I will warn you that Claro's customer service is atrocious,and I needed to return to the Alto Palermo office 4 times and numerous calls to their Iphone hotline before the 3G actually worked.

HI all,

I have an argentinian friend who will let me use her DNI for my nexus phone. We went to Claro in alto palermo where we were told they only sell phone service with data plans if you buy the phone with it! Idiots. I should have asked to talk to someone else, as I realized later this was not true since BKK to BA did it
so annoying.
we went to Personal after that and finally worked out that they do sell sim cards that include a data plan (on contract), something like 300mbs per month, but i decided i'll give Claro another shot, as those free numbers with Claro will be more useful for me.

So, back to Claro tomorrow. Questions: does anyone know where the main central office for Claro is in BA? I can't tell from their site.

Also, how much data do you go through per month? I plan to use the phone ocassionaly to check emails or the internet maybe on the evenings or weekends - whenever i'm not working in front of my computer. So not very heavy usage...

thanks!

amat said:
HI all,

I have an argentinian friend who will let me use her DNI for my nexus phone. We went to Claro in alto palermo where we were told they only sell phone service with data plans if you buy the phone with it! Idiots. I should have asked to talk to someone else, as I realized later this was not true since BKK to BA did it
so annoying.
we went to Personal after that and finally worked out that they do sell sim cards that include a data plan (on contract), something like 300mbs per month, but i decided i'll give Claro another shot, as those free numbers with Claro will be more useful for me.

So, back to Claro tomorrow. Questions: does anyone know where the main central office for Claro is in BA? I can't tell from their site.

Also, how much data do you go through per month? I plan to use the phone ocassionaly to check emails or the internet maybe on the evenings or weekends - whenever i'm not working in front of my computer. So not very heavy usage...

thanks!

Unless you have another reason for going to the main office,you can get set up at the Alto Palermo or Abasto offices.

As I stated above the customer service there is really bad.I took my assistant with me(an Argentine) and at first they told me no,without a DNI, there is no way.However I was told something entirely different at the Abasto office,so I raised hell with this girl,and all of a sudden she changed her story.

Apparently a 2 year contract w/ a subsudized(or free)phone wasnt possible,but since I already had my Iphone I wasnt looking for that anyway.They offered me several 1 year plans and I ended up taking the plan with unlimited data and about 160 call minutes.

Again I had to bring my passport,1 year rental agreement and pay like a 250 peso extra deposit,At first the 3G did not work and after 4 trips back to the office and numerous calls to their Iphone"hotline" they eventually figured out that the clerk who originally set up my account had entered me as using a Nokia phone,even though she was playing w/ my Iphone the whole time.

All in all it wasnt a very pleasant experience but now that its working its great.I have added the software to my phone that allows Skype to run on 3G,so I can call back home anytime anywhere as opposed to being tied to a WiFi hotspot.

Back