Contribuciones From Salary? Anyone Working In White To Help?

It is mandatory whether or not you retire here. And yes thats the money gone wasted.. but it's unfair that your company didn't inform you in advance about it. If possible ask your company to compensate it in some form if they are willing to.

You should have asked to be paid in dollars back in your home country. It would have made things a lot easier. That way your social security went toward retirement in your home country and not in Argentina (where you won't be retiring).

If your company is not flexible about this point, I wouldn't have accepted the assignment (unless of course they are just willing to pay a crazy high salary to compensate for all the taxes).

There are agreements with some countries and you can transfer your contributions when you leave, but not sure how complete the list is. Spain for instance, You definitely can transfer them. But you still have to pay them until you leave, and if you manage a transfer they don't hand you a cheque, they send the funds to your equivalent fund in the other country

No, you are incorrect (to those who said contribuciones are mandatory). My company provided me with the exemption application. It is only for temporary workers under 2 years, once you remain employed in the country longer than that you are ineligible. And contribuciones are in fact deducted separately from taxes because taxes are not deducted from my salary, as the minimum taxable wage in argentina is slightly above my salary.

And it would be illegal to be paid in dollars on a work visa in Argentina, therefore I am paid in pesos and it is not nearly as bad as it seems.

I would be interested in talking with someone who actually has gone through the process with their employer and knows more about it than "it's impossible". If anyone has, please let me know!

Well I will tell you that to the best of my knowledge - as someone who both worked here and had foreign workers working for the company - I am not aware of there ever begin exceptions to those contributions. Yes, taxes are a different story as there is a minimum requirement of salary. If you don't exceed it, it's up to you to file and/or pay on your own if required. If you exceed that threshold then the company must withhold taxes on your behalf. But that 17% is (or was as of 2013 so things may have changed) completely mandatory for the company to withhold.

Best of luck. If your company gave you the certificate - then they should be able to help you work though it via their local HR/Accounting. Perhaps there is something new or not widely known but my gut says it's probably not going to happen in re you getting that 17% back.

Well I will tell you that to the best of my knowledge - as someone who both worked here and had foreign workers working for the company - I am not aware of there ever begin exceptions to those contributions. Yes, taxes are a different story as there is a minimum requirement of salary. If you don't exceed it, it's up to you to file and/or pay on your own if required. If you exceed that threshold then the company must withhold taxes on your behalf. But that 17% is (or was as of 2013 so things may have changed) completely mandatory for the company to withhold.

Best of luck. If your company gave you the certificate - then they should be able to help you work though it via their local HR/Accounting. Perhaps there is something new or not widely known but my gut says it's probably not going to happen in re you getting that 17% back.

Understood, thank you! I feel like it is unlikely for it to be approved... But at least, as of 2015, it is no longer impossible to make the request for exemption. The application results supposedly take 2 months.

@rose14, could you please post more details on this (e.g., official name of certificate) and if possible a scrubbed/sanitized photo of it? This is very interesting information ...

Back