Conversation Exchange Challenge

I read a couple so far, very entertaining. The downside of readymade blogsites is that the copyright is usually retained by them.

I really like the idea...but I have a couple of points you might want to consider:
1) I've heard A LOT of stories about women meeting "language exchange partners" (usually in the jardines botanico, weirdly) that ended up being exceedingly slimy men looking to pick up foreign women. I think most of them were found on craigslist or Yesba (is that even still going?)
2) If you're meeting a different person each time, and assuming they're fairly normal people, I can imagine the conversations following a similar pattern. I wonder how you could make this interesting for the reader.
3) I found my friends' stories about the exceedingly slimy exchange partners hilarious...This could make for excellent reading. Perhaps not such a great experience for you though. Maybe buy some pepper spray in advance...or a stick.

@carverfan - glad you like it. What do you mean about the copyright? Who retains it?
@Ashley - don't worry I have considered your points! Have had various slimy men looking to pick up, check out exchanges number 18 http://52exchanges.blogspot.com/2011/11/dieciocho.html or my disastrous first exchange:
http://52exchanges.blogspot.com/2011/06/uno.html
There are also several others along the way. I began to use a fake name pretty quickly.

Also, you're right in that sometimes I do end up having the same conversations. I try to get round this by tying in other things happening in my life/in current affairs. I generally also find that I have something to say about the most dull of conversations, even if it's just how boring it was! Anyway you can judge for yourself whether I've managed to keep it interesting.

I hope you enjoy xxx

Hmm, it's confusing. Just checked and it does say you retain copyright, but then adds this...
"By submitting, posting or displaying Content on or through Google services which are intended to be available to the members of the public, you grant Google a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, publish and distribute such Content on Google services for the purpose of displaying and distributing Google services".
http://www.blogger.com/terms.g

Wow that is a really poorly written website. Sorry to be a hater, but it is super confusing. The design is OK, but I spent 3 minutes trying to understand what it was and had no idea what I was reading. Try putting yourself in a random stranger's shoes. First words are:

What's this all about then?
For anyone who is not familiar with this website below is a synopsis of my challenge:
For anyone struggling with the new layout: you just click on the title of a post for it to disappear, or scroll up/down and click a different one.

Welcome to the internet. Where you write 'articles' assuming your readers aren't your BFFs.

welcome to the internet, where unhelpful snide strangers give pointless criticism on your hard work.

Rosie,
i took a look at your blog and enjoyed the stories very much. regardless of what others are saying about the technical side of the site, I had no issues and found the content easy to access.
Ironically enough, I just joined the Conversation exchange not so long ago, but have yet to actually go "exchanging". it sounds like a world of "fun" out there.
as an aside, your blog sounds inspired by: http://www.52firstdates.com/ which I had heard was being kicked around as an indie movie idea a few months back. have you heard anything on this?
i wish you good luck and lots of fun with your challenge!

Hi Rosie,

Your stories made me laugh a lot. I met my conversation exchange partner 9 months ago and we have so much fun. She has a boyfriend (who is not jealous) and I have learned so much from her in terms of culture & everyday life.

But it wasn't always like that....I've met the strangest of people and almost faked illness to escape one person. In fact in one exchange in Starbucks on Florida, the women that I had met just 30 seconds ago asked me if I would get married and have babies...I said, "can we at least get coffee first so that I can think about it?"...

Every now and then I still get contacted on "con-ex" and go for a coffee with someone new. It can be hit or miss but I avoid the poeple that ask for my phone number before meeting or the ones with strange email addresses (lilke [email protected]).

This shouldn't put people off. The wierdest encounters give me the best stories in the office and it is a great "free" way to learn the language. :)

Nice website. :) Sounds like an interesting way to meet people and practice spanish.

I do wonder about "the other half of the story", though... :D it'd be fun to read both accounts. ;)

Back