Cooking in Argentina

Does anyone know where to buy ground nuts like almonds and hazelnuts?

New Garden Villares sells ground sesame and flax seeds, but nuts, I haven't seen. Might be easiest to just purchase the nuts whole and grind them yourself with a food processor or rolling pin.

Soozieloo said:
This is a great thread!

I have also been doing a fair bit of baking recently and have struggled to get certain things. I made pumpkin pie a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled to find brown sugar in my local grocery shop. However, as my flatmate pointed out it is actually white sugar that has been dyed with colouring and not proper brown sugar at all!

Does anyone know where to buy ground nuts like almonds and hazelnuts?

Also i am really missing fresh coriander (cilantro) and couldn't even see it in Barrio Chino...

In any good dietetica you will find the real, "wet" brown sugar. Don't buy the stuff they sale in the grocery store for baking. I've heard lots of complaints about people not being able to find any but I do a lot of baking and what I get from my neighborhood dietetica works just fine. If you're in San Telmo, it's on Carlos Calvo between between Chacabuco and Piedras (altura 700).

syngirl said:
Brown sugar is nothing more than white sugar + molasses (melaza) -- buy some molasses and you can make your brown sugar as light or dark as you want.

Or you can buy the Azucar Negra from Aguila, which has a ridiculous amount of molasses in it, and mix with white until you have the blend you want to achieve.

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2010/08/how-to-make-brown-sugar/

Unfortunately, you are right to some extent about this: an awful lot of brown sugar (a lot of awful brown sugar) is made this way but it's not very satisfactory for recipes that call for brown sugar because it just doesn't 'work' in the same way. Traditional brown sugars are refined so that they never get to reach the white stage - and because the crystaline structure and chemical content is different they just seem better to me. For more information, there's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar and if you scroll down a bit there's a section on natural brown sugars.

Anyone know a good place to get pancake mix? I don´t think I have ever seen it at our local supermercado. I really crave it on weekend mornings and that´s when I am just too lazy to make anything from scratch.

Hi guys,

I love cooking and after living for 5 years in mexico i became addicted to chile...all kinds and shapes plus seafood (also all kind and shapes) and this is my main struggle here. I found chinatown the best source so far for dried chiles though stll limited but any tips on fresh fish and seafood?

Back