cooking with romano

dutara

Registered
This spice has a nice fragrance.
Anyone out there have recipes that put it to use?
Haven't had any luck finding it referenced on the net.

(NOTE: I am referring to the herb/spice, not the cheese)

I think he/she might.
As "romano", in spanish, means somebody from Rome.

I grow rosemary (well, my wife does) in the kitchen garden, and we cook with it all the time.

dutara said:
This spice has a nice fragrance.
Anyone out there have recipes that put it to use?
Haven't had any luck finding it referenced on the net.

(NOTE: I am referring to the herb/spice, not the cheese)

Hi Dutara,
This is the only country in which I have a lucious rosemary tree that grows incessantly so Im also a big fan of this herb. The easiest recipe is the add 4 good sprigs to a roasting chicken under the skin and 3 or so inside the body cavity as this really infuses the meat with flavor.
My other favourite is lemon risotto with rosemary..its stolen from Nigella lawson, the domestic goddess but it wows everytime. Google lemon risotto nigella for the recipe..and enjoy!

Ries said:
I grow rosemary (well, my wife does) in the kitchen garden, and we cook with it all the time.

How do you keep it alive?! I keep killing my romero :( and i love it so! I guess my love is not enough to keep it alive.

I am growing it in my home in the USA, not on my balcony in BsAs.
Where my home farm is in the state of Washington, almost anything will grow.

Ah, so it is fresh rosemary, something I never encountered before! And I had the name wrong! I learned about it when someone showed me a bush of it and had me smell a broken piece.
Thanks all.

Hop said:
How do you keep it alive?! I keep killing my romero :( and i love it so! I guess my love is not enough to keep it alive.

My tips are:
1. Don't attempt to harvest any until the plant is min. 3 months growing
2. Favor under rather than overwatering.My plant has full sun for about 5 hours a day.
3. Don't move it..they like stability apparently.

Other than that cross your fingers as this has been my only successful and bountiful crop yet!

Ries said:
I am growing it in my home in the USA, not on my balcony in BsAs.

That's odd, Romero should do well when it comes to balconies.

O Romero, Romero ! Wherefore art thou Romero ?

Back