Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
I'm a Chinese-American-Panamanian (full-blooded Chinese, born in Panama, raised in California). I'll be heading to Buenos Aires next week for the first time. I haven't been to China since 2013 (family from Hong Kong). I love my Chinese heritage, but generally speaking the mainland Chinese are just too much for me to handle with their rudeness, dirtiness, etc, no offense to my culture lol. Plus, I enjoy traveling throughout Latin America. I love Latinas! And being able to speak fluent Spanish helps. I'm a healthy 30-something guy, so just wondering would I be getting any looks from locals who might think I'm from mainland China potentially carrying the Coronavirus and feel uncomfortable around me? I'm an extrovert, so I like to talk to people and get to know the culture.

But I understand if some portenos might feel a bit apprehensive engaging in conversations with me. But I've read there's a large Chino population in BsAs just like in Panama where they do the mercados/supermarkets. My dad owned a few back in the day in Panama. Either way, I look forward to BsAs! It's been unusually chilly out here in the SF Bay Area, so I'm ready for some hot summer weather!

I'm a healthy 30-something guy, so just wondering would I be getting any looks from locals who might think I'm from mainland China and feel uncomfortable around me?

Don't worry, Argentinians do not discriminate, they are assholes to everyone, including and specially to each other, but towards foreigners as well.

Argentinians are nice but can be huge jerks to certain foreigners, particularly to Asian foreigners (and probably Argentinian Asians). Even more so after all this stupid hysteria about the corona virus. The hillbillies outside BA are the worst about it.

As a counterpoint:

New coronavirus may be no more dangerous than the flu despite worldwide alarm: experts

The apparently high initial mortality rates have shrunk as the number of infections grows, and many of the infected appear to have mild or no symptoms
Upfront, what you tend to see is probably an over-representation of severe cases that are getting reported,” said Jason Kindrachuk, Canada Research Chair in emerging viruses at the University of Manitoba.
We don’t freak out about seasonal flu, we experience it every year,” said Matthew Miller, a microbiologist who studies viruses at McMaster University. “The people most likely to die from seasonal flu are the elderly and the very young … The same is very likely to be true with this new coronavirus outbreak. The people who are at highest risk are the people at the highest risk for any type of infection

This isn't the "seasonal" flu.

There is no vaccine for it.

The number of fatalities reported by the CCP may not be accurate...by a long shot.

From the link provided by Iz in the previous post:

"Report: Tencent ‘Leak’ Suggests Coronavirus Is More Fatal Than SARS
Tencent has been providing up-to-date statistics on the number of coronavirus cases and deaths. Taiwan News’ report indicates that, over the weekend, the “Epidemic Situation Tracker” briefly listed total coronavirus infections at 154,023 cases.

More worryingly, the report suggested that the virus had led to 24,589 deaths...

If the numbers from the alleged Tencent leak are accurate, it would put coronavirus’ morality rate at almost 16%. By comparison, SARS’ mortality rate was 9.6%.

The economic and social repercussions of a disease that’s much more infectious and fatal that SARS could be catastrophic.

It’s no wonder the CCP is panicking. Their desperate measures suggest that the actual numbers are closer to what Tencent published than the “official” data."

Source:

It's a tempest in a teapot. Period.
The news needs something bedsides another choco.

Back