Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
14 March 2020 @ 19:54
....Checks began on Saturday, through the National Migration Office, in an operation overseen by Interior Minister Eduardo 'Wado' de Pedro, local outlets reported, and involve a check at an individual's home address.....
....Foreign visitors to Argentina will also be checked on if possible, he said, saying attempts were underway to locate them....

Yours posts here against Notebook Fix and Somewhereinba are uncalled for . Both these members over the years have supported this forum with excellent posts and common sense . Expressing a point of view that you are not in agreement with is not fearmongering.

Up to now the coronavirus outbreak in Argentina and the world has vastly exceeded everyones worst fears and is not getting any better soon . Human beings have to deal with this new reality that will disrupt our lives for a long time , Expats here on this forum must band together and support each other as we are all in the same boat now rich and poor . How long before this passes its a wild guess but in the meantime we need to take all precautions and live as cheaply as possible .
I agree with the sentiment, but we are not all in the same boat, are we? The effects of coronavirus is different across age groups.

Also, I somehow doubt it is a unifier of the economic classes either. Rich people won't be living as cheaply as possible and poor people won't have enough to get by, just like now. Nothing will change.

Up to now the coronavirus outbreak in Argentina and the world has vastly exceeded everyones worst fears and is not getting any better soon .

Current situation vastly exceeds your worst fears?
Watch some zombie apocalypse movies on the Netflix! :)

Any concerns regarding the virus and paper money as a vector?

WHEN the peso takes a nose dive into the toilet, AGAIN, we'll find ourselves handling large wads of filthy bills...

Iz

Any concerns regarding the virus and paper money as a vector?
WHEN the peso takes a nose dive into the toilet, AGAIN, we'll find ourselves handling large wads of filthy bills... Iz
When you think about it, how could it not be.
One solution, use your debit card as often as you can and spray the alcohol sanitizer solution frequently on the debit card.

When you think about it, how could it not be.

Of course it is. Even before the outbreak of the virus, I´ve often gagged when counting currency in this country.

The two peso notes were the worst. Now only the newest higher demoniation notes fail to make me gag, but that doesn´t mean they´re not contimated by any number of disease causing germs.

China is reportedly burning their currency;

One solution, use your debit card as often as you can and spray the alcohol sanitizer solution frequently on the debit card.

Covid 19 is undoubtedly the best reason ever to have an Argentine bank account with a debit and credit card, especially useful for paying bills on line (which means no contact with others. something that always happens when paying bills in person).

Covid 19 is undoubtedly the best reason ever to have an Argentine bank account with a debit and credit card, especially useful for paying bills on line (which means no contact with others. something that always happens when paying bills in person).
With you up to a point. Yes, but just stuffing enough cash into the account to keep it debit and bill pay useful. Not betting the farm on the bank always being accessible.

Sign of the times.... Trying to register on Coto for home deliveries. Their server is overwhelmed and the application page fails. Maybe try again at mid nite.

With you up to a point. Yes, but just stuffing enough cash into the account to keep it debit and bill pay useful. Not betting the farm on the bank always being accessible.

Please explain what you mean by "the banks (not) always being accesessible."

Do you think the banking system in Argentina is in any real danger of collapsing with the banks closing their doors and also shutting down their online operations? If so, using an expression I am sure you are familiar with, please back it up.

I´ve never thought of transfering funds from a bank in one country to a bank in another, in order to maintain my lifestyle (with as little time and effort as possible spent doing so) as "stuffing enough cash into the account to keep it debit and bill pay useful," as that´s not what I´m doing.

If the banks in Argentina ever become inaccesible, we can only hope that Western Union/Rapipago are still operational, but, in spite of Perry´s fear that the banks here might close and not reopen, I don´t see why that would be likely to happen. I haven´t heard any rumors that any of them are insolvent.

If there are sudden, massive "runs" on deposited funds, the banks might limit cash withdrawals (including at ATM´s), but I seriously doubt they would stop accepting deposits or allowing me to pay the balancde due on my credit card (which I always use to pay all of my monthly bills as well as buy nafta, groceries, supplies, and make purchases on Mercado Libre).

PS: Now that we know how to transfer funds from a US bank to an Argentine bank, I hope I never have to go to a WU agency to pick up (and handle) cash again, not to mention that I prefer to avoid being streets and businnesses filled with people who, through no fault or desire of their own, could infect me with a microbe that could kill me.

Last edited:
Back