Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
US government warning all citizens should return home.

Gee thanks but no thanks. They have handled it so poorly it baffles me. Now it seems to be utterly out of any scope that could be brought into real containment. Cases are racking up and sadly what follows that is not fun with this virus.

The Chinese built special hospitals for people with the novel corona virus. Seems like the US is mixing them in with other sick people. Don't know for sure what they're doing but this seems like a really bad idea.

The Chinese built special hospitals for people with the novel corona virus. Seems like the US is mixing them in with other sick people. Don't know for sure what they're doing but this seems like a really bad idea.

Not only a bad idea but specifically mentioned in the WHO daily update 2 days ago. They said that the counties that have isolated infected people together in special facilities, have contained, and that they strongly advise against using the hospital system as is, for obvious reasons. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along those lines. You can watch it if interested, I posted it earlier.

Cheers!

Reached from the front page the US embassy web site for Argentina (Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel Read More...):

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel at this time due to the global impact of COVID-19. Many areas throughout the world are now experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and taking action that may limit traveler mobility, including quarantines and border restrictions. Even countries, jurisdictions, or areas where cases have not been reported may restrict travel without notice.

Health Alert: U. S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina

Event:
On March 19, the Argentine government declared a countrywide mandatory quarantine. Under a national public health emergency, Argentina enacted this quarantine, starting March 20, 12:01a.m. and continuing through March 31, 11:59 p.m. Argentine authorities may extend such period of time. Limited quarantine exemptions include movement to obtain food and medical care, and travel to the international airport for (only) ticketed passengers. Visit the website of the Argentine Government (in Spanish) for additional information on travel restrictions and quarantine measures.

The Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory and advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.

U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States. U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available. We understand that while multiple airlines continue to sell one-stop itineraries to the United States online, it is likely those flights will be suspended soon. Please verify with the airline you choose if you will be able to transit through your stopover point, and follow entry and exit requirements on the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 page for that country.

We are aware of reports of airline websites being inaccessible. Consider consulting your local travel agency. We understand that Carlson Wagonlit- Argentina has travel agents staffed in Buenos Aires. CWT Agents are available for travel booking on whatever flights may still have seats. Fees may apply.

Phone number: + 54 11 5555-2193
Email: [email protected]
Email Subject Title: REGRESO A EEUU

Any U.S. Citizens remaining in Argentina should be prepared to remain indefinitely and arrange lodging for the duration of the quarantine period. The government of Argentina has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Please visit the Ministry of Health website for further details at https://www.argentina.gob.ar/salud.

As of Thursday, March 19, 11:59 p.m., the Ministry of Transportation halted all intercity Argentine domestic buses, trains, and flights through Wednesday, March 25, 11:59 p.m.

In the Buenos Aires metropolitan area, as of Thursday, March 19, 11:59 p.m, passengers may only board public transportation if there is an available seat (standing room passengers are forbidden). This restriction will remain in place through March 31, 11:59 p.m. Travelers should be prepared for additional travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.

Effective March 16, international flights coming from multiple countries, including the United States, are suspended for a period of 30 days. Argentine authorities may extend or reduce such period of time. Any foreigner who is not a resident in Argentina will not be permitted to enter Argentina until April 1. This period may be extended.

Effective March 18, U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please email [email protected].

U.S. government personnel are restricted from non-essential domestic and international travel.

Actions to Take:
· - Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Argentina.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.

Assistance:

· U.S. Embassy Buenos Aires, Argentina
Av. Colombia 4300
(C1425GMN) Buenos Aires
Argentina
(54-11) 5777-4533
(54-11) 5777-4354 (after hours)
[email protected]
https://ar.usembassy.gov/
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

Argentina Country Information

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

My last mission walking around Recoleta during the cuarentena was to drop into Farmacia Azul for a thermometer, prophylactic, but better to be able to know whats what should me temperature rise. It gave me the opportunity to ask the pharmacist a question that's been on my mind since I cam across this article to an active, 'in the field' trial ongoing in France using two existing meds that they report are giving positive results on Coronavirus using: Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin at https://www.covidtrial.io From what I've read Hydroxychloroquine is a tablet taken orally. Azithromycin requires an IV hookup and a hospital. But it's Hydroxychloroquine that keeps being mentioned as the essential drug. In the US it's pending FDA trials and no one is endorsing it outright.
But I was curious to know if it's even available in Argentina, the land that can't put alcohol sanitizer on it's pharmacy's shelves. Per the pharmacist it is here, on a doctor's prescription. Not trying to hype anything here, but it is a ray of hope that we're living in a country where it exists, should the need arise and a doctor be willing to treat.

My last mission walking around Recoleta during the cuarentena was to drop into Farmacia Azul for a thermometer, prophylactic, but better to be able to know whats what should me temperature rise. It gave me the opportunity to ask the pharmacist a question that's been on my mind since I cam across this article to an active, 'in the field' trial ongoing in France using two existing meds that they report are giving positive results on Coronavirus using: Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin at https://www.covidtrial.io From what I've read Hydroxychloroquine is a tablet taken orally. Azithromycin requires an IV hookup and a hospital. But it's Hydroxychloroquine that keeps being mentioned as the essential drug. In the US it's pending FDA trials and no one is endorsing it outright.
But I was curious to know if it's even available in Argentina, the land that can't put alcohol sanitizer on it's pharmacy's shelves. Per the pharmacist it is here, on a doctor's prescription. Not trying to hype anything here, but it is a ray of hope that we're living in a country where it exists, should the need arise and a doctor be willing to treat.
Definitely useful to know so thanks for sharing. Sorry what did you mean about Argentina not being able to put alcohol sanitiser on shelves...?

Definitely useful to know so thanks for sharing. Sorry what did you mean about Argentina not being able to put alcohol sanitiser on shelves...?
To answer, last week I went looking for alcohol gel and alcohol liquid (ethyl or isopropyl), canvasing about 8 of the pharmacies in my area of Recoleta, including Hospital Aleman which has a pharmacy deep inside the first floor. None available. I checked Coto, out of stock. Then I went to Mercado Libre where I found suppliers offering these items, pay and then arrange delivery with the suppliers who are located in the province. To this day, as far as I can tell there are no alcohol products available in pharmacies or stores. And nobody knows when there will be stock.

To answer, last week I went looking for alcohol gel and alcohol liquid (ethyl or isopropyl), canvasing about 8 of the pharmacies in my area of Recoleta, including Hospital Aleman which has a pharmacy deep inside the first floor. None available. I checked Coto, out of stock. Then I went to Mercado Libre where I found suppliers offering these items, pay and then arrange delivery with the suppliers who are located in the province. To this day, as far as I can tell there are no alcohol products available in pharmacies or stores. And nobody knows when there will be stock.
I found one alcohol gel in my local carrefour yesterday. There was just one sitting there on a completely empy shelf, but not in the soap section. The woman at the register was stunned I found it and said it was the first one since last Sunday.

Back