Corona Virus May Hit Argentina Hard

When will Argentina see its first Corona Virus case?

• This week

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • This month (January)

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • After January

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Never

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Martial Law was mentioned for the first time in the news today.
Praise and honors to Pensador and Steve, wherever they are.

Martial Law was mentioned for the first time in the news today.
Praise and honors to Pensador and Steve, wherever they are.

Actually it's been mentioned in TN as a possibility for 2/3 days now, they've been quoting anonymous government sources.

Given the global and local experience, I'd say we are now more likely than not for an official state of.emergency to be declared. (Martial law). We will see...

An interesting article here on how the villas de emergencia will be affected by covid19.

When you don't have running water and sewer access, coupled with mass overcrowding, you can't really implement WHO best practices very easily. It's a timebomb.

The approach mentioned in the article seems to be planning for locking down the villas and subsidising the residents with money and food in the meantime.

I suspect this is could get real messy.

Fyi.

Can anyone tell me why we accept 38,000 American deaths annually from driving accidents, 47,000 from suicide, 20,000 from other flu's and 100,000 to 400,000 deaths from obesity yet we're wrecking our world to prevent a few thousand American deaths that the CoronaVirus will cause before a vaccine is likely available?

Can anyone tell me why we accept 38,000 American deaths annually from driving accidents, 47,000 from suicide, 20,000 from other flu's and 100,000 to 400,000 deaths from obesity yet we're wrecking our world to prevent a few thousand American deaths that the CoronaVirus will cause before a vaccine is likely available?

Italy

Also, it's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Sorry, I know I'm being somewhat dry. But you really think this is an over reaction, given all the data, which experts like the WHO interpret to require these sorts of actions. They didn't reccommend this for other epidemics over the years by the way.

Don't really know what else to say.

Good luck.

Italy

Also, it's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Sorry, I know I'm being somewhat dry. But you really think this is an over reaction, given all the data, which experts like the WHO interpret to require these sorts of actions. They didn't reccommend this for other epidemics over the years by the way.

Don't really know what else to say.

Good luck.

Italy has about 5,000 deaths so far, equivalent to 30,000 US deaths. 13,000 have died worldwide. Of course more to come.

For comparision: According to the WHO, 32 million people have died of HIV since the beginning of the epidemic. Moreover, of the 37.9 million people living with HIV today, just over 770,000 died in 2018.

My question is: Why stop the world over 13,000 deaths (so far) when we accept other much larger death tolls? And why no discussion of the costs of stopping everything? To start with the American politicians just got their hands on $2Trillion, how much will go to their friends like it did in 2008?

Who says we accept them? Billions of dollars, untold manpower, and massive amounts of research are used each year to combat car accidents, suicide, and flu. The only slight comparison is flu. Car collisions are human error and suicide is choice (for want of a better word). Still, we do a lot to try to prevent those things. If COVID-19 ultimately becomes a seasonal flu-like event, we will "accept" it in the same way. The point is, without isolation this virus could run amock and claim hundreds of thousands of lives. Thousands are dying with the fight being taken directly to coronavirus, how many would die if we ignored it?

Who says we accept them? Billions of dollars, untold manpower, and massive amounts of research are used each year to combat car accidents, suicide, and flu. The only slight comparison is flu. Car collisions are human error and suicide is choice (for want of a better word). Still, we do a lot to try to prevent those things. If COVID-19 ultimately becomes a seasonal flu-like event, we will "accept" it in the same way. The point is, without isolation this virus could run amock and claim hundreds of thousands of lives. Thousands are dying with the fight being taken directly to coronavirus, how many would die if we ignored it?
Right we don't 'accept them' we work on preventions. We don't stop the world.
Right without isolation hundreds of thousands might die (probably less if we protected the sick and elderly).
Now where is the analysis of the cost of stopping everything for the CoronaVirus? For Aids? For Automobile deaths? For Obesity deaths?

Right we don't 'accept them' we work on preventions. We don't stop the world.
Right without isolation hundreds of thousands might die (probably less if we protected the sick and elderly).
Now where is your analysis of the cost of stopping everything?
Yeah the economic loss will be huge and will reflect the dithering of governments in my opinion. Other countries should have shut China off from the world for a month when this initially broke out, effectively locking down one nation. Reasons given for not doing that was because of economic losses to China and the world economy. Well, how's the economic forecast looking now? I don't disagree about the clear impact this situation will have and believe everyone reacted too late. Still, that doesn't get away from the fact that COVID-19 is a problem that needs to be solved.

Italy has about 5,000 deaths so far, equivalent to 30,000 US deaths. 13,000 have died worldwide. Of course more to come.

For comparision: According to the WHO, 32 million people have died of HIV since the beginning of the epidemic. Moreover, of the 37.9 million people living with HIV today, just over 770,000 died in 2018.

My question is: Why stop the world over 13,000 deaths (so far) when we accept other much larger death tolls? And why no discussion of the costs of stopping everything? To start with the American politicians just got their hands on $2Trillion, how much will go to their friends like it did in 2008?

I don't think you are factoring in the deaths resulting from lack of capacity in the health systems. Something which your numbers take no account of.

This overwhelming of the health system will also cascade over and cause many collateral deaths of people who have other illnesses and get 'pushed out' by the covid cases. What will happen to those seasonal flu numbers when all the respirators are used for covid already, for example. No one is even modelling this dangeour yet, I suspect it would be grim maths indeed.

In all sincerity, I ask that you read the 20 page imperial college paper, published a few days ago. It's numbers and analysis is somewhat rosy in my view, but in any case still points in a clear direction . I'd be very interested if you still think the same way after reading it in full.

Best Wishes,

Cheers!

Attached

Attachments

• Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
    756 KB · Views: 2
Back