"Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response"

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1976 a vaccine was used in the US. 25 people died; at least 500 were paralyzed. I know one of those who was totally paralyzed. It took two years for him to recover speech and movement. This vaccine is being rushed and we cannot know for some time if it is really safe.
The vaccine was developed to protect against what?

Swine flu. I think you can find a lot of info on the internet. I spoke to the person I know who was paralyzed as a result (he was two months in intensive care and two years recovering) about the Corona vaccine being developed. He's extremely worried about it. There is speculation that it will be a requirement for visas, even to get a driving license.

Swine flu. I think you can find a lot of info on the internet. I spoke to the person I know who was paralyzed as a result (he was two months in intensive care and two years recovering) about the Corona vaccine being developed. He's extremely worried about it. There is speculation that it will be a requirement for visas, even to get a driving license.
I would not be surprised if in the future some countries may require visa applicants to be vaccinated against Covid-19. To get a driver's license?

I would not be surprised if in the future some countries may require visa applicants to be vaccinated against Covid-19. To get a driver's license?

In countries like the US where almost everyone drives it would be an effective way of enforcing a vaccination requirement, just as refusing to give driving licenses to undocumented people forced some to return to their countries.

In countries like the US where almost everyone drives it would be an effective way of enforcing a vaccination requirement, just as refusing to give driving licenses to undocumented people forced some to return to their countries.
Perhaps....but allow me to site an example in the US where the opposite was done. For years in California undocumented persons were not allowed to obtain driver licenses. Said regulation led to adverse issues:
(1) could purchase a vehicle, register it in their name but not obtain insurance coverage.
(2) be stopped by the police for suspected drunk driving yet incident(s) could not be tracked on the police data system.
(3) open a bank account, obtain a credit/debit card but had no CA driver's license to use as I.D.
(4) could purchase an airline ticket to fly nationally but had no I.D. as required to board plane when the Patriot Act was passed.

NO...the undocumented people in CA were not forced to return to their countries.
Solution: the regulation was amended by the State Legislature at the request of the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles.
Bill number, AB 60 removes the legal proof requirement in California to apply for a state issued driver's licenses. ... By the end of 2017, a little over 900,000 people without proof of legal presence in California obtained a driver's license under the AB 60 law.

Last edited:
Perhaps....but allow me to site an example in the US where the opposite was done. For years in California undocumented persons were not allowed to obtain driver licenses. Said regulation led to adverse issues:
(1) could purchase a vehicle, register it in their name but not obtain insurance coverage.
(2) be stopped by the police for suspected drunk driving yet incident(s) could not be tracked on the police data system.
(3) open a bank account, obtain a credit/debit card but had no CA driver's license to use as I.D.
(4) could purchase an airline ticket to fly nationally but had no I.D. as required to board plane when the Patriot Act was passed.

NO...the undocumented people in CA were not forced to return to their countries.
Solution: the regulation was amended by the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles in 2017.
Bill number, AB 60 removes the legal proof requirement in California to apply for a state issued driver's licenses. ... By the end of 2017, a little over 900,000 people without proof of legal presence in California obtained a driver's license under the AB 60 law.

You may be right but was this the case in ALL states? Even conservative states like Arizona? Anyway my point was about the possibility of a Covid vaccination being required. If governments considered a vaccination a necessity one way to compel it would be by requiring a vaccination for the issuance of all sorts of documents.

Sergio said....You may be right but was this the case in ALL states? Even conservative states like Arizona?

State laws permitting this are on the books in California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, New Jersey, Oregon, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Anyway my point was about the possibility of a Covid vaccination being required. If governments considered a vaccination a necessity one way to compel it would be by requiring a vaccination for the issuance of all sorts of documents.

I can foresee it happening for travel documents. What other documents are you thinking of?

Last edited:

A driving license is really a travel document. In the US it would be the most effective control because people use it for ID as well. Bank accounts could require vaccination certificates, marriage licenses, health insurance enrollment, school enrollment etc. Just about ANYTHING if a vaccination is deemed to be essential. I think there would be resistance in the US, however. There are influential people including some in Hollywood who oppose vaccines in general. Other countries might be better able to demand and enforce it.

A driving license is really a travel document. In the US it would be the most effective control because people use it for ID as well. Bank accounts could require vaccination certificates, marriage licenses, health insurance enrollment, school enrollment etc. Just about ANYTHING if a vaccination is deemed to be essential. I think there would be resistance in the US, however. There are influential people including some in Hollywood who oppose vaccines in general. Other countries might be better able to demand and enforce it.
You are correct....I meant travel by "air" exclusively.
Certificates of vaccination for students...definitely. By private health insurance enrollees is a debatable issue. But why for obtaining a marriage license and by bank account holders?

Last edited:
Aren't certain blood tests already required for marriage licenses - at least in some countries? This would be one more 'safeguard'. Bank accounts: if you can't open a bank account you can't transact most business in a country like the US. The point is that a government determined to enforce universal vaccination can do it in various ways. The question is how strict are governments going to be in requiring and enforcing vaccinations. The crisis is global and profound. The US economy contracted 33% in four months. Europe is in the same crisis. Nearly a century has passed since the last global economic catastrophe and even then some countries (I believe Argentina was one) were less affected. If a vaccine is seen as the way out, won't governments look for ways to require them? Of course this is speculation but based on everything I'm reading. all hopes are pinned on a vaccine. In light of the 1976 vaccine disaster in the US, the vaccines being worked on now need to be carefully tested. Can this be safely done quickly? Will people who are informed about the risks be willing to receive such a vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back