"Coronavirus: Oxford vaccine triggers immune response"

Status
Not open for further replies.
30 December 2020
AstraZeneca has already manufactured 10 million doses in Argentina and sends them to Mexico in January.
The first production batch in the Garín laboratory must be packaged in Mexico and then distributed. The production capacity in Argentina is 25 million doses per month.
....it will still take at least three months for the first doses to be available in Argentina, as announced by the national government: it would be between the end of March and the beginning of April....As of today there is a stock equivalent to 10 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, ready to be packaged. As Clarín learned, in mid-January that volume of the active ingredient in the vaccine will be sent to Mexico to be packaged....Once in Mexico, the Liomont laboratory has to validate the batches and demonstrate safety and hygiene in the fragmentation and filling stage. Then AstraZeneca must distribute the vaccines according to the commitments assumed in Latin America: Argentina bought 22.4 million doses....

31 December 2020
The AstraZeneca and Sputnik V vaccines combined could generate an immunity of 2 years. This was stated by the director of the Gamaleya Center in Russia, who signed an agreement two weeks ago with those responsible for the development of the University of Oxford to advance in studies of greater protection against to the new coronavirus.

As reported by the Russian agency Sputnik, Guintsburg said in statements to the press that “as a result of the use of this hybrid two-component vaccine, memory cells will form better, and the vaccine obviously will protect those vaccinated not by three or four months if not for at least two years, although of course it will take more work to test it experimentally. " The Nikolai Gamaleya Center for Epidemiology and Microbiology, the Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) and the pharmaceutical company R-Pharm signed on December 21 a memorandum of cooperation in the fight against COVID-19 with the Anglo-Swedish multinational AstraZeneca....
....The two vaccines use a platform (or technology) called "non-replicating vectors" or adenovirals, in which the SARS-CoV-2 virus protein is embedded. Adenoviruses are not capable of replicating, since they are a system to deliver antigens to the cells of the human body or in other words, to transport genetic material of the virus to be immunized. The Oxford/AstraZeneca AZD1222 uses chimpanzee adenovirus as viral vector, the same in both doses; while Sputnik V uses two human adenoviruses (26 and 5) to provoke a greater and more lasting response in the immune system....
....Guintsburg explained that if one component of the vaccine is injected twice, its effectiveness drops drastically with the second administration, but the use of two different components, if the immunity developed in the first vaccination does not interfere with the second component, causes very effective efficacy and prolongs its long-term effect. Likewise, the scientist pointed out that the pharmaceutical AstraZeneca must carry out the third phase of clinical trials of its vaccine in the countries that will use the combined drug. "Clinical trials of the Sputnik V and AstraZeneca vaccine are taking place in several countries in Asia and Africa," he said. These are highly populated countries that need a large number of doses"....

The AstraZeneca and Sputnik V vaccines combined could generate an immunity of 2 years. This was stated by the director of the Gamaleya Center in Russia, who signed an agreement two weeks ago with those responsible for the development of the University of Oxford to advance in studies of greater protection against to the new coronavirus.

Call me sceptical but that does seem all a bit fishy to me.Still, I'm sure the Oxford people know what they're doing.

Call me sceptical but that does seem all a bit fishy to me.Still, I'm sure the Oxford people know what they're doing.
Russian people I know have been talking about this for a while. Sputnik on its own does not seem to be trusted in Russia which may explain the low take up rates.

Regardless of what vaccine it is, it is all new science and science itself is continuous evolution and improvement. Over time these “rudimentary” vaccines will improve. If it takes a JV of combining two good ideas / formulae then great, humanity wins.

Still, I'm sure the Oxford people know what they're doing.
I agree...
If it takes a JV of combining two good ideas / formulae then great, humanity wins.
I agree....and the Oxford/AstraZeneca investigators will hopefully be forthright with publishing their findings in a timely manner thru the completion of the phase 3 trial.

Last edited:
8 January 2020
.... The minister (Gines Gonzalez) added that at the end of March "a very important quantity of the vaccine manufactured here" will be added to these doses from Russia, alluding to the one developed by the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca....

11 January 2021
AstraZeneca and Oxford's Covid vaccine advances: the doses would arrive in Argentina by the end of March.
The components produced in the country would be sent to Mexico next Monday to be packaged.

The active ingredient in the AstraZeneca and Oxford coronavirus vaccine being developed in Argentina would be ready to travel to Mexico - where it will be packaged - on January 18. However, it is estimated that the ready-to-apply doses will arrive in the country only at the end of March.
The general director of American Regional Organizations and Mechanisms, Efraín Guadarrama, communicated through his Twitter account that the date for the transfer of vaccines from Argentina to Mexico was advanced. On Thursday he announced that the component would be ready to arrive in Mexico "in 10 days", a date that will be met next Monday.

Both countries will be in charge of producing the necessary doses for Latin America and the Caribbean....As Clarín has already published, the first doses of the Oxford vaccine would be available in Argentina between the end of March and the beginning of April....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back