correspond with mom living near Lincoln school

BABear

Registered
Hello expats! I am considering a move to BA in June and I would very much like to correspond with someone who is living there now. I am very, very nervous about this move. One of my main concerns is about where we should live. I have twin 3 year old boys. My husband would like to live in Barrio Norte and send the boys to bi lingual school in that area when they turn 4 (from what I have read so far, kindergarten there starts at 4 not 5 like in the US ,correct?). This is because his work is closer to barrio Norte and he has some friends and family near there. These are valid reasons, however I am not sure it is the right place for me. I have no intention on staying in BA for more that 2 or 3 years, so I want the boys in American school. My husband thinks it will not matter since at the end of even 3 years, they will only be 6 and in first grade back in the US so not so important that they be in the (expensive) American school. However, I am also thinking of myself and my situation while there. I think living near Lincoln I will have better chance of meeting other Americans and having community I can actively participate in.
Please don't jump on me for being an ugly American BTW! I have lived in several other countries and speak several languages, including Spanish. having lived elsewhere, sadly I know that having expat friends is key to feeling happy about where you are FOR ME. Of course it is important also to try to befriend the locals, but that takes time and let's face it, it doesn't happen that often. Naturally it is going to be easier to make friends with people who are similar to you and have shared experience and culture. That is true everywhere I have lived and for every group, not just Americans. It just helps. So I guess what I am wondering is if we don't live in La Lucila or Olivos, am I going to be all alone? Looks like some peole recommend Palermo, but that doesn't seem like the right place for small kids, that might be more for young singles living abroad? Advice? Just need someone who is willing to talk about this and other stuff. Can do it here or via private email. Thanks!

You'll find a lot more expats in barrio norte or palermo than in la lucila or olivos, for sure. kids commute to school every day.
i think your husband is right about your children and school, kindergarten is more about playing and development than actual learning, right? well, that's up to yo anyway!
but don't worry about the expat friends in barrio norte. you'll find plenty :)

You will have more people nearby in Barrio Norte. Most of the expats, even those with kids seem to be living in the city. Even if they are not nearby to Barrio Norte, you'll be closer to them than if you lived out in the north zone and it will be easier to reach them.

La Lucila is also dull compared to living in the city. I think that you may find yourself bored out in the suburbs, especially once your little ones start going to school and your husband having a longer commute.

Many more expats in Barrio Norte and Palermo. I would say it's generally a nice place to bring up kids, as well. Of course, that depends on what you want for your kids! If you're used to city living, I don't think this part of the country holds too many surprises apart from the obvious gripes that get talked about on this forum.

One of the things about Palermo (and the rest of the city for that matter) that stands out to me is the fact that you see people of all ages out and about in many of the same places. Palermo and Barrio Norte are definitely not just for young people - the whole vibe of the neighbourhoods is much more mixed than that.

This is all just my opinion and some people love it here while others hate it. But, if you did decide on Palermo/Barrio Norte you'll be sure to find quite a few Americans/Brits etc in touching distance. Not least by trawling this forum.

I think there are expat mums spread out all over the place. I've seen a couple of threads on this forum about expat mum groups in Capital.
Of course, Lincoln school is probably going to have a higher concentration of foreign pupils (and therefore foreign mums) than most other places as its the American school. However, perhaps as an alternative/compromise you could look at some of the bilingual schools in the city. Belgrano has quite a few - Belgrano Day school is one that springs to mind but there are several in that area. Its also a nice area for families, especially "Belgrano R" - it has a nice park area that is always full of children in the weekends and isn't quite as busy as Palermo. I don't think you're going to find anywhere as expat-heavy as Lincoln and the Olivos area schools (though I think many kids commute from the city), but there are great schools everywhere and groups of expat mums that aren't necessarily linked up to a particular school.

Thank you, I am surprised to hear this. I had the impression most Americans with kids were out near the American school. I was thinking it might be dull out in La Lucila, but I don't know all that much about it. I have found it hard to find info about it, pictures etc. I guess it is just a typical suburb? How far of a commute(in terms of time) is it from La Lucia to Barrio Norte (for my husband) vs how far is it in the other direction (if we live in BNorte but decide to send the kids to Lincoln). I don't want either my husband nor kids to have a hellish commute, that is a quality of life killer. Not settled on Lincoln yet, just gathering info.

Ashley, how do the expat mom unite if not through the school? I guess I was thinking that would be the major link. Is there a club or something?

On here I think and another forum called BA newcomers. If you type "moms" into the search facility, you will come up with threads about groups.

I used to live in Recoleta and commuted to university close to olivos (a bit further away in San isidro). It took me about an hour and a 10 minutes door to door on the train (I lived maybe a 10 minute walk from the train).
I have a colleague of mine who commutes FROM Martinez (right near Olivos) to Palermo (sometimes she takes the bus and other times she'll take the train and then a shorter bus trip) and it takes her about 1 hour 40, though she said in rush hour it can be more like 2 hours and that's standing room only!

I think that driving into capital during rush hour in the morning would be hellish, driving out probably a bit better. Then the reverse in the evening...so the commute would probably be a bit worse for your husband

Ug! That is exactly what I thought, hellish either way! What is making me nuts is that I feel like I have to pick the school (w/o even seeing them!) in order to pick where we live. When I have made other moves, there were no kids so it was never that big of a deal, we just lived close to husbands work. Now it is more complicated. I don't want to feel like I have to rule out Lincoln just because we don't live in the suburbs, but realistically an hour each way is alot to ask of a 4 year old. 2 hours is too much for husband too. What the heck, why is Lincoln way out there anyway??? So aggravating!!
Thanks for the other info Ashley, I will have a look

Call Lincoln and ask, but I think they'll tell you lots of kids come by bus from CF.

If you're only going to be there a few years, I'd live in the city. It would be more enriching for the kids, a much nicer commute for your husband, lots more for you to do day and nights. Little boys love buses, they probably won't mind.

I'd look for a house in Belgrano R if the company is paying. Many of the houses feel suburban (lawns, pools) but have city amenities and are close to zona Norte. A little further is barrio parque which really is suburban in feel yet near Recoleta and all the Palermos. The houses in the city are much more expensive to rent than in Barrio Norte, however, so company would have to be generous.

Back