Cost of living: Argentina sees prices almost doubling last year

Here is the data of the annual inflation. It is not a US right wing think tank, but coming straight from the Argentinian government (INDEC):

View attachment 8602

As you can see, public transport and healthcare are also included. I agree that for some people it does not affect them, but statistically it is correct to include them (as for many people these are a big part of the monthly budget).

Even if you take the José Villero living in a slum in the Conurbano, you can see in the table above that - even if sends his many kids to public school and hospital - that the inflation is hitting him at least as much as the rest of population: Alimentos + 95%, Ropa + 120%.

I am not from the US, but I am rather that your government includes food and energy prices. You can always debate about the weight of the goods/service basket in an inflation index, but as long as it is consistent it doesn't really matter that much. The variation are rather small.

If someone does "jigger the content" of their baskets, I wouldn't look that much at first world nations. Just look a couple of years back in Argentina under the CFK rule where they grossly (again INDEC) misstated the inflation numbers. "INDEC says consumer prices rose 15 percent in the 12 months through June while private economists estimate inflation at 27.9 percent, one of the highest rates in the world. Critics, including some of the agency’s own statisticians, say INDEC is masking Argentina’s top economic problem for political reasons." (Reuters) Nowadays (since Macri, but also with Alberto), the numbers of the INDEC are more or less undisputed (by government allied politicians, as well as opposition; at least I haven't heard otherwise).
Coming "straight from the govt"! That isn't a good thing to say these days, especially if the data is from Washington. In BA AS, same thing.

Inflation benefits, or more precisely, hurts less, those with fixed rate mortages and loans, which is usually not the poor. Even if your salary doubles to match inflation, your life savings don't, i.e. in real terms is cut in half.

In 2022, inflation was 98,4%, while the US dollar rose only 75%. All of us dollar expats are now 23.4% poorer.

In 2022, inflation was 98,4%, while the US dollar rose only 75%. All of us dollar expats are now 23.4% poorer.
Someone addressed that months ago; for those expats here living on social security, there was a decent raise, effective this month, averaging $140. At the blue rate of 380, that translates to a nice cushion.

Just imagine your living costs back in the US!
I think about this every time I buy the following items which have increased in price as noted in the past year:

Even with the more than 100% price increase in everytng in the list, I am reasonably certain that everything i the list costs more in the USA today.

1. Free range chicken eggs (with very orange yolks) for $.89 USD per dozen (more than 2 X a year ago).

2. Drinking water for less than $2.00 USD for 20 L (about 50% more than a year ago).

3: Ground beef for $1.89 per pound (at the new price as of yesterday...a 27% increase in the past week).

4: Butter for less than $4.00 per kilo (about 2X more than a year ago)

5: Grasa de cerdo for less than $2.00 USD per kilo. (I was not buying it a year ago, but I am saving a lot of $ since I stopped cooking with olive oil).

6: Coffee for less than $10.00 USD per kilo (more than 3 X a year ago).

7: Onions for about $400 per kilo (somewhere between 3-4 X a year ago?)

PS: I am no longer buying olive oil. The brand I was buying (Lira) has increased by X4 in the past year. I did not stop buying it because of the price., I stopped using it to cook because of the loss of nutrients when heated.

Last edited:
I think about this every time I buy the following items which have incrased in price as noted in the past year:

Even with the more than 100% price increase in everytng in the list, I am reasonably certain that everything i the list costs more in the USA today.

1. Free range chicken eggs (with very orange yolks) for $.89 USD per dozen (more than 2 X a year ago).

2. Drinking water for less than $2.00 USD for 20 L (about 50% more than a year ago).

3: Ground beef for $1.89 per pound (at the new price as of yesterday...a 27% increase in the past week).

4: Butter for less than $4.00 per kilo (about 2X more than a year ago)

5: Grasa de cerdo for less than $2.00 USD per kilo. (I was not buying it a year ago, but I am saving a lot of $ since I stopped cooking with olive oil).

6: Coffee for less than $10.00 USD per kilo (more than 3 X a year ago).

7: Onions for about $400 per kilo (somewhere between 3-4 X a year ago?)

PS: I am no longer buying olive oil. The brand I was buying (Lira) has increased by X4 in the past year. I did not stop buying it because of the price., I stopped using it to cook because of the loss of nutrients when heated.
That's exactly why I never complain about prices here (okay, I moan a bit when my Nampe wine more than doubled this past year). I've been here a long time and when I see the price in Argentina pesos I still momentarily hesitate as it reminds me of dollars but buy what I need anyway. For example Head & Shoulders shampoo was (last time I bought it) $700 pesos. Yes, I paused for a second but at US $2 (in blue pesos) I still bought. At my favorite verdularia I buy what I want without concern for price as, in reality, it's cheap here. I'd post other examples but most here know what my point is. Steak here, hot dogs in US.

Coming "straight from the govt"! That isn't a good thing to say these days, especially if the data is from Washington. In BA AS, same thing.
Yeah, really! That's like saying, "this is very good fertilizer, direct from the bull's ass".

Back