Cost of living

That's the impression I got as well. I wouldn't tell him how to live, I was just trying to tell him how much it will cost to live and party like it sounds like he wants to. And the reality is, it's not cheap.

jb5 said:
The OP does not sound like a 22 year old willing to live on the cheap. So I'm sharing my opinion as someone who likes American style nice housing with security, kitchens you can actually boil water in and no bugs....for restaurants I like a mix, but he's talking about impressing women (not something I do) and I'm saying that the swank restaurants in BA are not cheap. When I want to impress my significant other, a night out would cost at least that.

Yes, I was confusing. For apartments I was talking US dollars. Again, we worked with the tourist rental agencies, Craigslist and La Nacion where the place we're taking was eventually found. We didn't see anything I would call nice by US standards in Soho or Las Canitas for anything close to $1200 US. We also found that owners of desirable places wanted a garantia or lots of upfront cash.

Again, I know there are lots of young people living on the cheap. But the OP sounds a bit older and a bit more interested in living well. My overall point is that BA is not a place to come to because you can live well much cheaper than in the US or Canada. Some things are cheaper, others are more expensive. Many read posts and other data on the net that are just a few years old but totally out of date re prices. Just the difference from 1 year ago is very significant, yet we still get post from people who think a great steak and good bottle of Malbec can be had for $10 US.

For restaurants I was talking pesos.

So I'm giving my perspective as someone who moved to BA in 2011, paying much more for everything than I paid on visits in the past.

I found a brand new furnished loft apartment with 2 balconies, 1.5 baths, 2 floors, etc. for only $650 a month in Palermo. All utilities included.

I was lucky to find the place, but I really don't know where some of you guys get these numbers.

Outside of rent, I spend about $1000 a month and live pretty nicely.

jb5 said:
Philip, you've eaten at the good restaurants in BA and never spent $400 pesos for 2? Please, tell me where I can do that.
No, I've never spent 400 dollars for 2. I was confused by the currency mixing.

Ok everyone..I was born and raised in New York City. The prices in BsAs do not really scare me. I was out last weekend a bottle of Ciroc Vodka cost me and 2 buddies $US270.00 at a club...I heard someone mention 150 pesos for champagne in a club here..thats less than $US40. I personally am interested in meeting women but not the kind that are after the rich gringo popping champagne at the club. Having lived in many places including the US and Europe I think I will be fine down here. I have found a place for $975. It is a loft in Palermo Viejo..something like this would easily cost $3500 a month..UNFURNISHED..in New York City..Maybe I'll adjust the budget to $US 350 a week after rent but I do after all have a life to get back to and I don't plan on spending more than 60% of my savings during my 1-2 year stay down there. I thank all of you for the insight..

On another note..420 anyone? PM me

@JB5 I won't be earning pesos so when the pesos jumps to 4.50 against the USD or CAD all that means is that I'll be getting more bills at the AMEX office. I won't be exchanging more than $US 300 a week anyways..I know better than to keep my money in a Latin American currency..my parents are Dominicans after all..I have family in the Dominican Republic and I know how inflation can really mess things up..I remember when the DR peso was 66 to 1 dollar..now it's 38...when I was a kid it was like 10-12 pesos..when my mom was a kid it was on par with the dollar..and when my grand dad was a kid there was a half penny denomination of the currency..look at Chile's Peso..and look at Colombia..not to mention the glorious Argentina..Latin American currencies can not be trusted..except probably Brazil's

USMCAcosta said:
I was out last weekend a bottle of Ciroc Vodka cost me and 2 buddies $US270.00 at a club...

I would certainly expect to pay around the same if not higher here. Smirnoff Red goes for over 100US in clubs and ciroc sells for >75US in the supermarket. Which is not to say I don't think you'll do fine on you're budget. I do.

I was born and raised in NYC too. Yes, BA is much less expensive than NY or SF where I've lived for many years. You save on many things, though decent booze is much more expensive here and the Argentine stuff is scary.

Yes, we'll all do much better if and when the peso devalues. Than prices will look more like they did a year ago.

Back