Cost Of Ownership

Thanks, Rich. Your list motivated me to see what my car is costing me to own (at today's prices).

Here's what I came up with for my 1994 Puegeot 405 (which I really like, even after driving a half dozen German sedans in the USA):

License plates: $000
Fuel: I drive about 3000 km per year and usually buy about $400 of nafta per month: $14.400 for 36 months
Oil and Filters: one filter and six ltrs of oil per year: estimate $1.800 for 36 months
Tires: New three years ago (and should last at least six more, so one third of buying the same tires at today's prices: $2000
New battery (once every three years): $1000
Maintenance in the past six years: about $12.000 pesos (new head gasket, water pump, timing belt, many suspension parts): $6.000
Insurance $350 per month (for liability coverage only as collision coverage for my car is not available): $12.600
Parking Cochera: 000

TOTAL: $37.800 Avg: $1.050 per month

I don't have to be very concerned with depreciation or resale value (About $50,000), but If I am at fault in an accident the insurance will not cover the damage to my car. Fortunately, I have the covered space to "part it out" if that ever happens. If I have to buy another used car in the next ten years, I would look for the same model (made through 2001).

Great xcise
Note that you don't have cochera and license plates expense your insurance is nominal and .
Tires: at $500 pesos each ?? great purchase send me some. price here over $1000.
Fuel for 9000 km s or 900 litres at 15 pesos per liter so $13,500 in three years /accurate
Mechanic Prices not applicable to Capital too low
Oil changes: double your amount here in three years $3600

So you are at least $100 per month short

Good luck

Thanks Rich One and SteveinBSAS.

Today I'm kinda thinking about getting a new car to avoid the repair/breakdown/replacement-parts hassles.

Depreciation should be the biggest expense but I cant get a handle on it because of the inflation over recent years plus how prices were further inflated by cars being used as inflation hedges.

In the US I'd look at resale prices and ballpark the value I'd lose over 3 years of ownership. But here I'm kinda stumped.

Thanks Rich One and SteveinBSAS.

I'm kinda thinking about getting a new car to avoid the repair/breakdown/replacement-parts hassles.

Depreciation should be the biggest expense but I cant get a handle on it because of the inflation over recent years plus how prices were inflated by cars being used as inflation hedges.

In the US I'd look at resale prices and ballpark the value I'd lose over 3 years of ownership. But here I'm kinda stumped.

MY 2015 VW Suran highline (purchased 2014 nearly new, w/ 1000km) 145000
full coverage with Allianz @ ~ 1600 /mo
parking in V del parque 1100 /mo
gas 700 - 1400 /mo depending

Great xcise
Note that you don't have cochera and license plates expense your insurance is nominal and .
Tires: at $500 pesos each ?? great purchase send me some. price here over $1000.
Fuel for 9000 km s or 900 litres at 15 pesos per liter so $13,500 in three years /accurate
Mechanic Prices not applicable to Capital too low
Oil changes: double your amount here in three years $3600

So you are at least $100 per month short

Good luck

"Tires: New three years ago (and should last at least six more, so one third of buying the same tires at today's prices: $2000"

I bought the tires three years ago for $3000. I estimated the same tires today would cost $6000. I expect them to last a total of nine years, so I calculated that the cost for three years is $2000.

The mechanic recently charged $3800 pesos (labor only with a factura) to change the cylinder head gasket. The (outside shop) charge to resurface the cylinder head was $400 pesos. The gasket also cost about $400 pesos.

The mechanic hasn't charged extra labor for the oil changes if hes doing other work (engine or suspension). He also took my car for the VTV inspection twice and refused to accept payment for it (he did accept the beer I returned with). I always pay for the parts (including the oi and filters) with my credit card at the auto parts supplier. I pay the exact price they charge the mechanic.

The mechanic has changed the oil three times. The other three changes I had done at a local gas station. I always provided the oil and filter and the labor cost the equivalent of less than $10 USD at the XOOM exchange rate of the day.

"Tires: New three years ago (and should last at least six more, so one third of buying the same tires at today's prices: $2000"

I bought the tires three years ago for $3000. I estimated the same tires today would cost $6000. I expect them to last a total of nine years, so I calculated that the cost for three years is $2000.

The mechanic recently charged $3800 pesos (labor only with a factura) to change the cylinder head gasket. The charge to resurface the cylinder head was $400 pesos.

The mechanic hasn't charged extra labor for the oil changes if hes doing other work (engine or suspension). He also took my car for the VTV inspection twice and refused to accept payment for it. I always pay for the parts (including the oi and filters) with my credit card at the auto parts supplier. I pay the exact price they charge him.

The mechanic has changed the oil three times. The other three changes I had done at a local gas station. I always provided the oil and filter and the labor cost the equivalent of less than $10 USD at the XOOM exchange rate of the day.

Great Xp , love tires that last for 9 years :) Any comparison with Capital is irrelevant :rolleyes:

Great Xp , love tires that last for 9 years :)

At the rate of 3000 km per year I will only drive 27,000 km in 9 years.

In the USA the Pirelli 3000 has an 85,000 mile warranty.

That converts to 136,794 km.

I'm not sure how many km the warranty covers in Argentina and the tires sold here may not be equal in quality.

But it's quite possible (if not probable) that I'll wear out before the tires.

Any comparison with Capital is irrelevant :rolleyes:

Comparisons (or contrasts) with Capital provide almost all of the reasons I left six years ago to live in el campo.
emo32.gif

At the rate of 3000 km per year I will only drive 27,000 km in 9 years.

In the USA the Pirelli 3000 has an 85,000 mile warranty.

That converts to 136,794 km.

I'm not sure how many km the warranty covers in Argentina and the tires sold here may not be equal in quality.

But it's quite possible (if not probable) that I'll wear out before the tires.

Comparisons (or contrasts) with Capital provide almost all of the reasons I left six years ago to live in el campo.
emo32.gif

Tires have expiration dates printed on the tire and are mostly 5 years, not near 9 years...!! If a dealer does not sell a tire for 5 years must return to manufacturer....!! I mean Michelin and Continental . When one buys a tire must check the expiration date..!! see picture. Even if tire is not used
  • Most tires begin to significantly degrade around five years from the date of manufacture.
  • Six years from the date of manufacture, most tires are no longer safe for use on a vehicle.
http://www.tiresafet...e-in-six-years/

How-to-Read-TIRE-DOT-Number.png

Yes, but for 3000 km per year I guess he is save with old tyres. I doubt this car see any real road... But, you have to be careful, especially when raining, because tyres loose most of good characteristics, they become hard and slip easily. I know, was driving 10 years old shitty tyres and in one moment my car was a plane... For very short, but significant period.

Six years from the date of manufacture, most tires are no longer safe for use on a vehicle.

That makes me wonder if they check the expiration dates on the tires when a vehicle goes through the VTV inspection.

Tomorrow I'll check the date on the spare tire. It is "new" (no doubt purchased with the four tires I replaced three years ago). Those tires were almost worn out when I bought the car six years ago. They were probably more than five years old when I passed the inspection in 2011 and 2012 (with just enough tread to squeak by).

Back