Cottage cheese

bjorkista

Registered
I've looked for it everywhere and can't find it! Every time I try to explain it to anyone or translate it on google it always shows like "ricotta cheese" :(

Anyone had better luck?

i am not sure if they have it here. I have not seen it myself personally, but i dont see why they wouldnt. Have you tried using this name "queso blanco grumoso" when you ask them at the store. Maybe you would have better luck at a cheese shop or a supermarket. If you cant find it there are plenty of videos on youtube on how to make it. The process doesnt look to difficult. Hope this was a help. GL

Every once in a while this comes up.
Sour cream, cottage cheese (there used to be a long time ago), buttermilk are not to be found here, but there are some alternatives. Also, cheddar as you are accustomed to is hard to come by... it's out there but when you say cheddar here they think processed cheese singles.

If you are savvy in "making" stuff, then you just need some unpasteurized (good luck) milk and make it yourself. I personally have taken to making everything I need from raw materials/ingredients.

check this older thread
http://baexpats.org/food-drink/6550-cottage-cheese-en-castellano-p-v.html

Growing up in this country my mother used to buy "queso cottage" and I hated it so much... no matter what brand she tried. Can't believe that they do not produce it here anymore. After coming back from more than ten years living abroad I can see that the country has made some progress... eradicating cottage cheese!

This is the low down.... THERE IS NO COTTAGE CHEESE IN ARGENTINA. My Argentine wife used to eat it as a child, but it disappeared from the market more than 15 years ago.

Its called "queso cottage" here. You used to be able to buy it in little tubs (I think either San Cor or Serenissima brand) but it disappeared from shelves about 7 years ago never to be seen again!

DEAR GPOP! Don't even MENTION unpasturized milk here!!!!look on past threads FOOD AND DINING and see the responses I got when I was asking if anybody knew where I could get either PASTURIZED or un pasturized milk here to make cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!! I am still trying to find natural milk. I WANT GOOD CHEESE!!!!

By the way, on Sunday mornings I always have a basketfull of Buttermilk bisquits with butter and homemade jams and jellies,sausage gravy.eggs and brains etc. on my table. For buttermilk you need 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons vinager de MANZANA! and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.....mix it together and let set on the counter overnight....that is all

james p said:
DEAR GPOP! Don't even MENTION unpasturized milk here!!!!look on past threads FOOD AND DINING and see the responses I got when I was asking if anybody knew where I could get either PASTURIZED or un pasturized milk here to make cheese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!! I am still trying to find natural milk. I WANT GOOD CHEESE!!!!

Yeah :S I noticed...1137 posts, that's some reading.

But the fact of the matter is that once I arrived here (in '04), I was going nuts trying to find ANYTHING that I was used to, and I am not talking about just stuff you would find in a North American supermarket.
I was raised on Romanian food so It's been too long since I had cabbage rolls like my mom used to make... certain things can be substituted or adapted, other thing cannot so it behooves a body to learn to make things from scratch if you indeed miss it soooo much.
When I was a kid I remember (and loved) mamaliga (here it's polenta) with buttermilk and polish style sausage. Occasionally I can find a acceptable garlic sausage, and of course polenta is everywhere, but sadly I have a lot of difficulty resolving the buttermilk issue.
I also have ties to Greece so the search for decent fetta has lead to deep disappointment. I once walked desperately around Flores going from queseria to queseria asking if they had fetta,
them: "si...mira, fetas de queso"
me: ... ??? WTF ???... no, fetta Griega... de cabras
they tell me to try another place, repeat this 20 times- before I know it, I've walked 2 Kilometers and still found nothing. I bought something labeled "fetta de cabras" at Carrefour once, felt too squishy to be fetta, took a bite to try it and spat it out, chucked out the remainder.

The problem is that, even if there is a demand for something that is foreign to Argentines, they may try to make or experiment with it; but the fact of the matter is that - some might have had some exposure to other cultures but not enough to facilitate any degree mastery in producing it OR they're keen on making money off of something that they really don't know nothing about. Best to stay with what you know.
The really sad part is that the waves of availability (and now it seemed to ebb out of existence) is all dependent on the political whims of the day.

Back