Couldn't quite belive this!!!

This PC culture is quite ridiculous. I don't agree that the original comment was racist. I mean sometimes generalisations have to be made about appearance for young children. The 'Mahogany Collection' possible. What was wrong with calling it the Afro-American Collection?

Would y prefer American political correctness - where everything is double-speak? Where black people call each other "nigger," but not long time ago some Big Brain came up with the idea to re-write Mark Twain in in order to take all the "n" words out of his books? Where women go out in a very little cloth, but breast-feeding in public, even discreet, was a no-no? Should I continue?

Different countries, have different cultures and rules.. I was an expat in the States, too, and many-many things did look hm.. strange at first. One either accepts a country, or make another choices...

Good luck!

starlucia said:
The other night, we were watching The Bodyguard on cable, and there's a scene where Whitney Houston's character has a bunch of black babydolls on her bed. My Argentine partner could not BELIEVE that black dolls existed, as she'd never seen one and it had never really occurred to her that non-white parents might not want their daughters toting around little Aryan-race Barbies ;)

Some countries keep their black grandmother hidden in the family closet so to say. I had no idea Mexico had one of the largest slave industries in Latin America. PBS has done a great job with this series I wish they'd do Argentina.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/

brownlove said:
Was reading "La Valijita" magazine for young children (Number 91, May 2011). There was a piece about China:

"Los Chinos tienen el pelo lacio y los ojos chiquitos..."

Excuse me? :eek: The publishers would probably be closed down for this type of derogatory comment in US or UK. It's a different culture here, yes I know, but....

I believe it. I have seen people put their hands to their eyes and pull them slanted when talking about going to a Chinese restaurant. But the kicker is that they (Argentines) really don't mean anything by it. Since we (UK US) come from different PC cultures we are shocked.

But, I really hate it when people use the term "negro" to mean anyone from a lower class or a person from Bolivia. That is just horrible. Black is beautiful. But then again all cultures have words made horrible by labeling people. It is in all of our cultures and countries. Best to be aware of these words in a new country and culture so if your child comes home from school with some strange ideas about words, you know what they are talking about.

I am a Chinese. It's wrong that Chinese have round eyes... We just have small eyes...
Japanese have round eyes... Korean have thin eyes...come on!

It's not a problem though. My kindergarten teacher told me all Americans were blonde!

yoga*bird said:
I believe it. I have seen people put their hands to their eyes and pull them slanted when talking about going to a Chinese restaurant. But the kicker is that they (Argentines) really don't mean anything by it. Since we (UK US) come from different PC cultures we are shocked.

But, I really hate it when people use the term "negro" to mean anyone from a lower class or a person from Bolivia. That is just horrible. Black is beautiful. But then again all cultures have words made horrible by labeling people. It is in all of our cultures and countries. Best to be aware of these words in a new country and culture so if your child comes home from school with some strange ideas about words, you know what they are talking about.

I got that expression from a drunken women on a colectivo. I mean one minute she was puking and the other minute this... I don't quite understand it...

I doubt the actual hardcore racist population of Argentina is no bigger then the one in the states.

Talking about the word Negro, sometimes depends the context:

Ex:

1- There is one dancer in tv, everbody call him Negro Luengo (surname), he is white, with black hair like the italians, and that isn´t an offense.

2- When the people is angry with someone, but very angry, sometimes use the expression: Que negro de Mie***, that is offensive.

3- When somebody does one joke with a dark humor, you can say: Que negro que sos! and that is beetween friends, laughing with complicity.

4- You go to the Beach, you can back to your work and everbody can call you, Volviste, estas re-Negro? You came back? You are very Negro!

5- Sometimes (this happens in my bar), there is many people talking about many things, and there is one or many tan people or dark skins, and someone says: He cheats to his boss, and hi doesnt show up in his work, ´cause he was sick?? Nooo, he was lying, and say: Que negro pata sucia, el chanta! (What a Negro Dirty Foot, the cheater!) and they apologies to the tan people, saying: I mean, not a Negro in the skin, I mean Negro from the soul (negro del alma, people with bad intentions), that is offensive, but they explain that.

5- My friends calls me Negro or Negrito, negrito lindo, negrito monono, and that is not offensive for me, they are saying that with truly affection.

Well, there ways and ways to say and use Negro.

"Una cosa es una cosa, y otra cosa es otra cosa" (slang)

I almost say that famous joke about: No es lo mismo un metro de encaje Negro...

Bye, Vick

brownlove said:
Was reading "La Valijita" magazine for young children (Number 91, May 2011). There was a piece about China:

"Los Chinos tienen el pelo lacio y los ojos chiquitos..."

Excuse me? :eek: The publishers would probably be closed down for this type of derogatory comment in US or UK. It's a different culture here, yes I know, but....

Man I can't believe how wrong in the head you are to think that’s a derogatory comment.

I don’t see why saying ‘chinese people have straight hair and small eyes’ is derogatory. Maybe if they had said ‘Swedes are tall and blond’, you would be okay with that? Maybe in your mind one is okay and the other one isn’t. The only racists are the ones that find racism in every corner, because they’re messed up.

And about the guy talking about the word ‘negro’, come on man do some research. It doesn’t mean what you think it means. It’s used as a positive word, too. Spouses call each other ‘negro’ or ‘negra’, friends use it, and a lot of people have the cultural habit to say it to everyone like kids or people you like. We’re not in the US anymore, you can’t translate words literally and think you know what you’re talking about. Even when used derogatorily, it doesn’t refer to the person’s skin color.

Well, my spanish isn't perfect so maybe I'm wrong but when I just looked up "lacio", it meant lank or limp and that's not very complimentary. It's not just saying straight hair. I don't think they use this word to describe the effects of a Keratin treatment or the latest ceramic hair iron.....maybe someone fluent would know better exactly what this word means.

Back