Couldn't quite belive this!!!

If anybody can name someplace where racism does not exist they are either misinformed or less than truthful. The situation in the U.S. use to be bad but a lot of progress has been made in the last 50 years. Things are still not perfect there are people affiliated with the tea party and other far right groups that want to turn the clock back and undo the progress that has been made. The problem can never be completely rooted out but people can certainly be vigilant and call it what it is when they see it. Recognizing it is the first step in doing something about it.

marksoc said:
This is the least racist country I have been, and I have been around.

:eek: i dont know about that. I think it really depends on how you look and where you're coming from.

My personal experience here is that people are pretty ignorant and it comes out in racism, and i havent been in a place where ALL THE TIME skin color-eyes color say something about your economical status.

Well, you are absolutely wrong. I'm local and "Pelo lacio" means straight hair, don't bother trying to find a hidden message there.

And sorry, but this is the most funny thing I've ever read. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the comment on that book.

It really seems you are being pushed to find racist comments or thoughts all the time in the US. Just cheel out.

And let me tell you something. Political correct is one thing but stupidity is something totally different.

That excesive "political correctness" only makes clear how hard you are trying all the time to hide racism, which is still there. In my opinion it only makes it worse.

I remember Rubén Rada (a black Uruguayan musician) once saying. why would someone not want to call me black if I'm black ?

CarverFan said:
Well, my spanish isn't perfect so maybe I'm wrong but when I just looked up "lacio", it meant lank or limp and that's not very complimentary. It's not just saying straight hair. I don't think they use this word to describe the effects of a Keratin treatment or the latest ceramic hair iron.....maybe someone fluent would know better exactly what this word means.

lacio is straight if you take a fat dictionary you might find another 10 meanings but in normal conversations it only means straight

Ever see the lable of Blancaflor Flour ? I think thi sis the only place they can get away with advertising a product with a charicature of a "minstrel" black girl.
I cant hear any reference here in the news to President Obama without "El presidente negro de los estados unidos".
Its yet another one of my pet peeves

Sadly, I think racism is bread into our human nature. I'm not a sociologist, but think that it may have been a survival trait going back to the stone age. It exists among all races on all continents. The most effective way to combat it is through education and travel. There are good and bad people in every race. I know that I have been denied entry into places in Japan because of my race. If you let that kind of thing ruin your day, you need to get a life. You can't be looking for trouble all your life and being a victim. You need to accept the fact that some people will not like you because of your race, and let that be their loss.

Davidglen77 said:
When I lived in the USA, I once received a card from a co-worker from my birthday. I hung it up on the window of my office along with the other cards from co-workers and clients. I didn't realize that the front of the card had an image of a black man on the front. When I received it I opened up the envelope, quickly opened it and read the inside which had a standard message and thanked my co-worker (who was a black woman). I never noticed that the man on the front of the card wasn't white. As people passed my office and noticed it they made all kinds of comments to me and some of my black co-workers got upset and thought I was making fun of them, and to top it all off the director of human resources called me and asked me to remove the card. Apparently Hallmark had put out a line of greeting cards called "The Mahogany Collection" which have African American themes and is geared towards the black community. I grew up in a mixed nationality (russian / cuban) family and we were constantly labeled, categorized, even made fun of and discriminated and asked billions of questions.
http://www.hallmark.com/Browse/Index?n=&ctx=ContentSearchProfile&pg=1&rpp=&sort=&k=mahogany&npath=
i didn´t underestand this anecdote. what was the problem with the card? why were you forced to take it down?

mulderfox said:
i didn´t underestand this anecdote. what was the problem with the card? why were you forced to take it down?

People are WAY too sensitive about race is the issue. A few months ago I went to visit my native New York with my Argentine partner, and had to explain so many things to him, like don't call black people black, you have to say african american, etc. The phrase "Latino community" in the US refers to puerto ricans, dominicans, cubans and mexicans, but not Argentines, Chileans or Uruguayans, etc. Stuff like that is unthinkable here.

My experience is somewhat diferent . I grew up in a neighborhood made up manily of minorities.
If i ever called any of by black neighbors or friends anything othe than black , it would be iinsulting. WHITE people call black people african americans. SACRED white people do that.
ARGENTINES dont consider themselves Latin americans. The entire rest of the world does.

Back