Count your change!!!

Davidglen77 said:
I love all of my Argentine friends, co-workers and of course my partner. Most have treated me very nicely, with love and care........HOWEVER small business people in Argentina, while not all, MOST in my experience are unscrupulous and very unaccomodating. The times I have gotten change back in my favor, and other things that go unnoticed, well me, I would never give it back to them. That is for all the times I've bought something and it broke, and they've refused to exchange it, spoiled food that they wouldn't refund, and general nasty attitudes by cashiers and retail personnel. I call it my personal "ajuste de cuentas". It's my own very perverse method of payback.......

No, it's not a method of payback. You don't realize that you're not any better than the people with the nasty attitudes. You're EXACTLY the same, doing EXACTLY the same.

GS_Dirtboy said:
LostinBa, That's b*ll sh*t! First, she's Brasilian. We spent the first four years here as dual-expats. I know very what it's like to be out of your element as a foreigner. I also was able to rent without guarantors because the landlords that rented to me trusted me. I was the only person they ever did that with (they said).

Second, I worked my ass off to get my business off the ground and to keep it growing in an increasingly hostile regulatory environment. I also studied Spanish in every spare moment until I was fluent, and then studied Portugues until I was fluent.

Maybe you should keep your personal judgements to yourself until you know what you are talking about?

So you're saying the person in Argentina that accidentally "overchanged" you wasn't actually Argentinian? haha. Naw, you're right. I assumed she was Argentine. But you know what they say about Assumptions.

Maryeliza said:
I dont mean to tar every Argentinian with the same brush, but please be aware that some of them will want to scam you - especially when its obvious you are a foreigner! This morning at the subway ticket desk, I gave $100 peso note because that is all I had, I bought two tickets, I was given a wad of notes back. In $2, $5 and $10. Usually you grab the change and run - but thankfully I was in no hurry, and I decided to stand at the counter and count the change. He had short changed me by $50 pesos!!! I was so shocked at the cheek of this, I just looked at him and made a noise, and he throws another $30 pesos at me. Which I then responded with "No! mas" He then gave me the rest of the change he owed me.
This has also happened to my boyfriend too. So just be aware, always count your change!!!

Don´t worry, they do this to Argentines too.

LostinBA said:
So you're saying the person in Argentina that accidentally "overchanged" you wasn't actually Argentinian? haha. Naw, you're right. I assumed she was Argentine. But you know what they say about Assumptions.

Yes, you really do have a hard time with "facts" and assumptions. Again, you assumed something that issn't accurate. Read my post again. It wasn't what I wrote. The person who "overchanged" me was an Argentine who worked in her shop. My wife was the manager.

Is it only in BA that you've been lost? Or, have you been lost elsewhere, as well?

bebero said:
No, it's not a method of payback. You don't realize that you're not any better than the people with the nasty attitudes. You're EXACTLY the same, doing EXACTLY the same.

I actually have a very good attitude, get along well with others but thanks to the people I mentioned in my post, I've become just like them, because if I stay honest and give back change I get looked at like an idiot, oh and by the way keep on being a boy scout, watch how for you get!

Davidglen77 said:
I actually have a very good attitude, get along well with others but thanks to the people I mentioned in my post, I've become just like them, because if I stay honest and give back change I get looked at like an idiot, oh and by the way keep on being a boy scout, watch how for you get!

Don't blame on others your own miseries. Plenty of us deal with what you deal on a daily basis without answering fire with fire.
I've given back change and I've never got looked at like an idiot. I always got a smile and thank you, just like the stories of other people in this thread.
And if you'd rather keep the money than being looked at like an idiot, again, you're one of them.
Not what I'd call a great attitude.

If you want to be a bad person like the ones you're complaining about, fine. That's your prerogative. But don't blame it on anyone else, blame it on your own indignity.

bebero said:
Don't blame on others your own miseries. Plenty of us deal with what you deal on a daily basis without answering fire with fire.
I've given back change and I've never got looked at like an idiot. I always got a smile and thank you, just like the stories of other people in this thread.
And if you'd rather keep the money than being looked at like an idiot, again, you're one of them.
Not what I'd call a great attitude.

If you want to be a bad person like the ones you're complaining about, fine. That's your prerogative. But don't blame it on anyone else, blame it on your own indignity.

Smile and thank you, of course (to your face) they wouldn't think of saying WHAT THEY REALLY THNIK to you directly. You obviously don't know how things work here, be careful buddy.......

Davidglen77 said:
Smile and thank you, of course (to your face) they wouldn't think of saying WHAT THEY REALLY THNIK to you directly. You obviously don't know how things work here, be careful buddy.......

I'm doing OK, and you don't seem to be :)

You'd rather take money that is not yours than THINK that someone is THINKING that you're an idiot. It's fine. Just don't talk about that kind of people like you're on the outside, you're not.

Davidglen77 said:
... I've become just like them, because if I stay honest and give back change I get looked at like an idiot, oh and by the way keep on being a boy scout, watch how for you get!

Sorry, mate. But there is a sizeable chunk of hypocracy in your posts. You can't really complain about the way you think it is here, and then do exaclty what it is you complain about. In any debate forum you'd get eaten alive. :)

Quality thread my girlfriend started! I can confirm the accuracy of the original post and that indeed I have been short changed twice in Subte stations for reasonable amounts, but I they didn't get away with it. Then for smaller amounts at Once, but this is different because with smaller amounts you win some you lose some. Thus my 1.10 peso journey costs me between 50 cents and 2 pesos. Feels more like a voluntary donation to be fair given that no one bothers if one just walks straight through!

Back