Counterfeit money in ATM's?

Getting fake bills at an ATM is unlikely but possible (the people that count and replace them are well trained, but a good counterfeit could get through). If you do get them you can complain. You will have to fill out some paperwork (forms for the Federal Police division of the Central Bank), but you'll get your peso bills replaced. If you get under changed you can also complain and you should get your difference. In this case, the paperwork is only with the bank as the Federal Police is not involved. In both cases, be sure to keep the receipt the ATM gives you. Counterfeit dollar bills are confiscated and not replaced.

I have been using my ATM card here since 2003 and have never received counterfeit money from a machine.

Neil

I just noticed I got a BAD fake 100 from an atm inside a bank. oooh it makes me mad that i just realized it.

Which bank was that?

karasulli said:
I just noticed I got a BAD fake 100 from an atm inside a bank. oooh it makes me mad that i just realized it.

I have received 2 fake 100,s in the five years i,ve been here,both in San Isidro ATM;s.I quieried them both and they denied any knowledge of it.THEY EVEN INTRODUCED ME TO THE MAN WHO PUTS THE MONEY IN!!!!!he said it was impoosible as he checks every single one....and lines his pockets at the same time,,,inside robbery me thinks

Neil said:
I had one suspect bill...once from an ATM, often I get dirty, corners ripped bills... so far they are accepted.

The most commmon scam is the taxi driver switch-a-roo, I fell for it w/ a Fifty once and only once..!:D Heed the warnings Never pay taxi's w/ 50's or 100's!

Got scammed as well by a taxi driver once : gave him a 20$ bill, he placed it in front of him (couldn't see) and showed me back a 2$ one telling me I gave him a 2$ bill. Classic scam (better say "aca van 20 pesos" while you give the money)

Howard, which ATM gave you the fake bills? I use San Isidro's ATMs all the time.

Back