Countryside Life?

saraleviathan

Registered
Hey guys!

So I've been living in Buenos Aires for six months, and I would really like to see other parts of Argentina. I wanted to do volunteer work on a farm through WWOOF, but I'm not having much luck with responses. But I still do want to travel -- I'm thinking Mendoza or Bariloche, but I'm open to any beautiful place away from the city.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm working on limited funds at this point so expensive touristy excursions aren't an option. I'm really just looking to take a bus and stay somewhere in the country for 2 weeks to a month.

Ideas?

I really liked going to El Bolsón. I went via bus and actually didn't think it was bad at all, though I know that's not a popular opinion here: it takes way longer than a flight but to me that's more than made up for by the increased comfort if you spring for the fully reclining seats. If you're into farming and volunteering, I would think El Bolsón would be perfect: it's a nice hippy crunchy town.

On the same trip I went to Lago Puelo. We primarily camped, which kept it cheap. If your feeling moderately wealthy, you can charter a motorboat to take you across the lake to some much less crowded camping. It was super beautiful there and there's plenty to do if you're outdoorsy.

I really liked going to El Bolsón. I went via bus and actually didn't think it was bad at all, though I know that's not a popular opinion here: it takes way longer than a flight but to me that's more than made up for by the increased comfort if you spring for the fully reclining seats. If you're into farming and volunteering, I would think El Bolsón would be perfect: it's a nice hippy crunchy town.

On the same trip I went to Lago Puelo. We primarily camped, which kept it cheap. If your feeling moderately wealthy, you can charter a motorboat to take you across the lake to some much less crowded camping. It was super beautiful there and there's plenty to do if you're outdoorsy.

Bolsón sometimes offers the option to work on local farms for room and board, and this is harvest season. I should add that it also has some of Argentina's finest ice cream at Jauja (which now has two branches in BA as well).

Thanks! I've actually heard a lot of wonderful things about El Bolson, and my one tenuous farm hookup is there. Can you take a bus directly from the Capital to there? Or must I transfer at Bariloche? I couldn't find anything direct but I didn't go to the bus terminal to check.

Thanks! I've actually heard a lot of wonderful things about El Bolson, and my one tenuous farm hookup is there. Can you take a bus directly from the Capital to there? Or must I transfer at Bariloche? I couldn't find anything direct but I didn't go to the bus terminal to check.

I think you can get a direct bus but, even if not, it's only a couple hours farther on from Bariloche.

I traveled there on Via Bariloche and had to change buses in Bariloche.

FYI If you have a DNI aerolineas to bariloche is 630 some pesos while via bariloche is 11XX for the nices bus or 9XX for the midrage and you have a whole extra day. There is really no reason to take the bus.

Also consider Salta and Jujuy. Great natural beauty. Indigenous peoples. Nice Art works. Very similar to American Southwest. Around Cordoba there is La Cumbre and Alta Garcia. General Roca on the Rio Negro river is also nice , with a lot of fruit grown in the area. Big country. Lots of options. Enjoy.

Also consider Salta and Jujuy. Great natural beauty. Indigenous peoples. Nice Art works. Very similar to American Southwest. Around Cordoba there is La Cumbre and Alta Garcia. General Roca on the Rio Negro river is also nice , with a lot of fruit grown in the area. Big country. Lots of options. Enjoy.

Not much to do around General Roca - El Bolsón is far more interesting and attractive. It's also compact, and easy to get around without a car.

Not much to do around General Roca - El Bolsón is far more interesting and attractive. It's also compact, and easy to get around without a car.

Agree. The OP said she was looking to do work on a farm. There are plenty of those around General Roca. Apple's instead of soy beans or sheep. El Bolson is great. Was there in January. Just suggesting options , not opinions. :)

Back