COVID-19 vaccine development pipeline gears up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Un avión de Aerolíneas Argentinas saldrá esta noche a las 23 horas rumbo a Moscú para traer un nuevo lote de vacunas Sputnik V
Source: Infobae 10:55 2/10/21

We had vaccine tourism to Miami where money can buy anything, now we have vaccine tourism cholo style

Last edited:
Am hearing rumors that you can soon pick one up in (or via) Paraguay for $100 a piece.

Am hearing rumors that you can soon pick one up in (or via) Paraguay for $100 a piece.
Not bad, at least you don't have to tramp across minefields in northern Chile. However, how they manage the cold chain in places like that is beyond me, especially for the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine... a few days back there was a report about how Peru was importing that vaccine, and I posted an article about how they were ready to keep vaccines at 2 - 8 degrees Celsius while BioNTech / Pfizer needs -70C. Good luck with that.

Chile: con un millón de vacunados, puede ser el primer país emergente con inmunidad colectiva

Chile superó ayer el millón de personas vacunadas contra el coronavirus, seis días después de haber comenzado el proceso de inmunización masiva en adultos mayores, quienes se sumaron al personal médico que ya está siendo inoculado desde diciembre, informó el Ministerio de Salud.

——
While too early to count chickens with a lot still depending on external supply chain from their various vaccine providers, one million people vaccinated in six days is quite something. This number now includes those in the general population over the age of 78. As of this morning almost 6% of the population have received their first dose with more vaccines on hand still to be administered.

Not bad, at least you don't have to tramp across minefields in northern Chile. However, how they manage the cold chain in places like that is beyond me, especially for the BioNTech / Pfizer vaccine... a few days back there was a report about how Peru was importing that vaccine, and I posted an article about how they were ready to keep vaccines at 2 - 8 degrees Celsius while BioNTech / Pfizer needs -70C. Good luck with that.
I would say whoever may have a supply and trade of vaccines going on in Paraguay would have a pretty high-yielding, geographically concentrated and niche target market to be able to afford a cold chain of their own. Given the country in question there is probably even some overlap of public and private resources to get them in the first place. Fly over Ciudad del Este and while you don’t see paved roads you do see mansions with everything from private helipads, landing strips, yacht moorings, pools to tennis courts. Anything is possible with enough dollars!

While too early to count chickens with a lot still depending on external supply chain from their various vaccine providers, one million people vaccinated in six days is quite something. This number now includes those in the general population over the age of 78. As of this morning almost 6% of the population have received their first dose with more vaccines on hand still to be administered.
Yes, a million in six days is not bad, Chile has some control of its health system at least. I expect it's pretty much the same in Argentina, when the vaccines arrive they'll be distributed securely. I see Chile having to repeat the exercise 6 months down the road though, if the reports about the Sinovac efficacy are true. I do understand that new developments are happening all the time, even Chile is now begging for Gamaleya / Sputnik V in the next 6 months, while the Oxford / Zeneca vaccine falls over when confronted with the South African variant. There's no real way to predict this.

Yes, a million in six days is not bad, Chile has some control of its health system at least. I expect it's pretty much the same in Argentina, when the vaccines arrive they'll be distributed securely. I see Chile having to repeat the exercise 6 months down the road though, if the reports about the Sinovac efficacy are true. I do understand that new developments are happening all the time, even Chile is now begging for Gamaleya / Sputnik V in the next 6 months, while the Oxford / Zeneca vaccine falls over when confronted with the South African variant. There's no real way to predict this.
Chile already has contracts with most vaccine producers - so the impact of Sinopharm (or Sinovac) needing a booster shot would be limited to the percentage of the total administered in such a case.

My fear about countries that "go too slow" in their vaccination programs is that in a year from now their populations may need another vaccination (like any, has sputnik V even been trialled and tested over a year or more to know for a fact?) plus a long list of people still waiting for their first or second dose making things far more complicated for those countries than those that could manage such an eventuality in a more symmetrical manner.

I don't think this ever really ends. Anywhere. The vaccines are starting to roll out. It will be patchy and uneven, and, once the durability of the vaccines is known, repeated many times. Surely this is part of the new normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back