COVID-19 vaccine development pipeline gears up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could try reading the Infobae article posted:
"The President complied with all commercial, political and institutional steps within his reach. He signed the contracts, deposited the promised millions of dollars, enlisted the Aerolineas Argentinas planes, authorized the use of the vaccine through ANMAT and the Ministry of Health, sent two official delegates to Moscow to explain their health needs, and prepared a plan national in scope without making partisan differences."
That may all be true, but Argentina is still broke and Russia is still unreliable. Look at the list of countries who are purchasing Sputnik from Russia. They are all down on their luck financially. If they were in better shape they would likely be in the market for a different vaccine. I'm not making a judgement call at all. It just looks like a cold, hard reality. With luck Argentina will get a hold of enough Sputnik to make a difference. I'll be in line.

I see all the major vaccine producers, BioNTech / Pfizer, Oxford / Astra-Zeneca, and Gamaleya / Sputnik have production problems, it's not something unique to either Argentina or Russia. Contracts aren't defining the supply situation right now. We're going to have to live with that for a while.

Argentina hasn't done badly in the vaccine scramble, it seems the country has got an effective vaccine, even if it's not arriving in the quantities planned. It would be worse to be in the situation of Chile, having got a few doses of BioNTech / Pfizer for show, and now scrambling for a possibly 50% effective Sinovac.

And thanks also to Graciella, this is a very informative thread.
Good points Frank!

That may all be true, but Argentina is still broke and Russia is still unreliable. Look at the list of countries who are purchasing Sputnik from Russia. They are all down on their luck financially. If they were in better shape they would likely be in the market for a different vaccine. I'm not making a judgement call at all. It just looks like a cold, hard reality. With luck Argentina will get a hold of enough Sputnik to make a difference. I'll be in line.
BA Expat, where no dark stone is left unturned.

"The President complied with all commercial, political and institutional steps within his reach. He signed the contracts, deposited the promised millions of dollars, enlisted the Aerolineas Argentinas planes, authorized the use of the vaccine through ANMAT and the Ministry of Health, sent two official delegates to Moscow to explain their health needs, and prepared a plan national in scope without making partisan differences."

I see all the major vaccine producers, BioNTech / Pfizer, Oxford / Astra-Zeneca, and Gamaleya / Sputnik have production problems, it's not something unique to either Argentina or Russia. Contracts aren't defining the supply situation right now. We're going to have to live with that for a while.

Argentina hasn't done badly in the vaccine scramble, it seems the country has got an effective vaccine, even if it's not arriving in the quantities planned. It would be worse to be in the situation of Chile, having got a few doses of BioNTech / Pfizer for show, and now scrambling for a possibly 50% effective Sinovac.

And thanks also to Graciella, this is a very informative thread.

I criticize the following points in Alberto's handling of the vaccination programme:
1) Again and again there were made totally unrealistic forecasts about the number of people being vaccinated in December / January. Even worse, government officials were contradicting each other repeatedly
2) It was said the vaccine does not have ideology. True. But I believe that influential parts of the government (mainly the Ks) were pushing very strongly for a Russian and / or Chinese solution for ideological reasons.
3) The Sputnik is a huge gamble for the government: from a scientific point it was far behind the other vaccines. Phase 3 is basically done here in Argentina. They also put the integrity of the ANMAT in danger, basically the same they did with the INDEC when they falsified the inflation numbers (amongst other). This gamble might pay off, or not...
4) It is true that the "Western" producers also have capacity issues. And there are big contractual issues now coming up (who does get what amount in what order etc). So it is a big problem they oversold the vaccines they did not have (ensured). However, also in this regard I see big differences between "Western" producers and Sputnik:
a. The gap with the Sputnik between orders and deliveries seems much higher
b. The gap with the Western producers is because of the exceptional high demands. With the Sputniks there are only very few countries in the waiting line (I believe Hungary is the only country of the "developed world" who has approved this vaccine)

I criticize the following points in Alberto's handling of the vaccination programme:
1) Again and again there were made totally unrealistic forecasts about the number of people being vaccinated in December / January. Even worse, government officials were contradicting each other repeatedly
2) It was said the vaccine does not have ideology. True. But I believe that influential parts of the government (mainly the Ks) were pushing very strongly for a Russian and / or Chinese solution for ideological reasons.
3) The Sputnik is a huge gamble for the government: from a scientific point it was far behind the other vaccines. Phase 3 is basically done here in Argentina. They also put the integrity of the ANMAT in danger, basically the same they did with the INDEC when they falsified the inflation numbers (amongst other). This gamble might pay off, or not...
4) It is true that the "Western" producers also have capacity issues. And there are big contractual issues now coming up (who does get what amount in what order etc). So it is a big problem they oversold the vaccines they did not have (ensured). However, also in this regard I see big differences between "Western" producers and Sputnik:
a. The gap with the Sputnik between orders and deliveries seems much higher
b. The gap with the Western producers is because of the exceptional high demands. With the Sputniks there are only very few countries in the waiting line (I believe Hungary is the only country of the "developed world" who has approved this vaccine)
ROFL BA Expat, where no dark stone is left unturned.
Constant complaint is the poorest sort of pay for all the comforts we enjoy.
Benjamin Franklin
I think a compliment ought to always precede a complaint, where one is possible, because it softens resentment and insures for the complaint a courteous and gentle reception.
Mark Twain
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward
The problem is that Alberto is in the stormy, open sea and has no clue where he is, no plan where he wants to go (remember the interview in the FT?), parts of his team are constantly undermining his authority with public letters. But sill, putting the blame for every misfortune on the way on Macri, the IMF and - if that doesn't work - then surely it must be a worldwide phenomenon that unfortunately also affects Argentina. So much for being realist and adjusting the sails.

Two people we know here both in their 60's have recently died ''from Covid''. Like the majority of others they had underling health conditions. One had hypertension/heart problems the other had diabetes.
If I had an underlying medical condition I might consider getting the vaccine but as I'm 'healthy' and fit for my age I won't be joining the queue....most certainly not for the Russian one!!

... I'm 'healthy' and fit for my age I won't be joining the queue....most certainly not for the Russian one!!

Nobody forces you to participate in the vaccination. It looks like you made up your decision a long time ago.

In any case, this is probably an example of natural selection at work :)

Perhaps you neglected to read from the same article this line....
....However, Alberto Fernández made an implacable mistake: he trusted Putin, a president who conditions the value of the word on his own geopolitical interests....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back