COVID: Argentina in sixth place

The difference is that in the US the central government did little to try and stop it. Here in Argentina the government did try in the strongest yet most ineffective terms, and at an enormous economic and social cost, while filling us with propaganda that Argentina is/ was doing the best job in the world of taking care of COVID. Also Argentina only has 45m people.
that sounds just like what happened in the USA- ineffective terms, enormous economic and social costs, while filling us with propaganda that the USA was doing the best job in the world.
In fact, all of that is basically what Trump said, and did, today. And yesterday.

He may not be from Texas, but he believes in Failing Big.

The fact that Argentina only has 45 million people means that the overall damage is LESS, not more.
There are close to that many people in the USA without jobs right now, adding the "official" propaganda numbers with the self employed, under employed, and undocumented employees.

All of which is to say, its worse on every level in the USA, and at least Argentina tried.

More and more people everyday are starting to believe that all of this is a crock of sh%t.. Phoney Balogne. Please don't start with oh, you don't believe the virus exits? and blah, blah, blah... Yes, I believe the virus exists, just like many other virus exist. Many people now believe that the dangers of covid 19 are being over hyped, and not just here in Argentina. I recently saw reports from Argentina and elsewhere, recently too, where more people died from Flues than Covid 19

Last edited:
Many people now believe that the dangers of covid 19 are being over hyped, and not just here in Argentina.

The world population is now about 7.8 billion people.
We have a new disease with a death rate of about 1%.
If it is not stopped 78 millions of people will die.

For comparison, 56 millions died in the Second World War.
Was the WW2 over hyped as well?

Unfortunately, I don't think it can be stopped. It can be slowed, it can be better treated.

First of all there are not going to die 78m people. 9 months into this crisis and there are probably 1m dead. So we are not even in the worst case (no vaccination etc) coming anywhere near this number.

Secondly, and this is from an ethical point very debatable (I admit), 1 death is not equal to 1 death. It is for me simply not the same if an eighty year is dying from Covid than a 20 year old soldier in a needless war in the fields of Flanders. So I don't share your comparison with WW2.

This doesn’t make sense. You assume every single person on this planet will get it? The death rate is calculated on infections, not population. More people died from TB in 2019 than have died from COVID in 2020. I don’t know how bad this virus is or could be, but I think both sides can agree the data is not yet in. And certainly it is not as bad as some of the death predictions from when it started

The human herd has grown too large. Let nature thin it out.

So some in the international community don’t trust Argentina’s numbers and refuses to use them so as not to be tarnished by them... in other words they think we are far, far worse due to our lack of testing.

Back