Covid Vaccination Argentina

A while back I posted a link to the effect that Panama is offering AstraZeneca to tourists. Uruguay is considering offering Pfizer and/or Sinovac to tourists I believe, but nothing is definite yet, and anyway Uruguay isn't open for tourism yet.

I don't think there's been much vaccine choice in most countries, certainly none of my family in Europe were offered a choice, it's a case of we have this one now, if you don't like it, you can try to reschedule your visit. On this side of the Atlantic, in Chile, for example, you could try to game the system by calling the vaccine centre and asking what they had (They didn't give appointments for vaccination, but in any case, outside of Santiago it was Sinovac or nothing). I don't know if that would work here? At least in PBA over 30s don't need an appointment anymore, they can just turn up with their DNI, so calling ahead might work.

The show about Sputnik is really silly, it's clearly an excellent vaccine. I understand Argentina is also pushing the WHO to recognize it. I would take a first dose for my health, and try to sort out a WHO/EMA-approved vaccine later on.

A while back I posted a link to the effect that Panama is offering AstraZeneca to tourists. Uruguay is considering offering Pfizer and/or Sinovac to tourists I believe, but nothing is definite yet, and anyway Uruguay isn't open for tourism yet.

I don't think there's been much vaccine choice in most countries, certainly none of my family in Europe were offered a choice, it's a case of we have this one now, if you don't like it, you can try to reschedule your visit. On this side of the Atlantic, in Chile, for example, you could try to game the system by calling the vaccine centre and asking what they had (They didn't give appointments for vaccination, but in any case, outside of Santiago it was Sinovac or nothing). I don't know if that would work here? At least in PBA over 30s don't need an appointment anymore, they can just turn up with their DNI, so calling ahead might work.

The show about Sputnik is really silly, it's clearly an excellent vaccine. I understand Argentina is also pushing the WHO to recognize it. I would take a first dose for my health, and try to sort out a WHO/EMA-approved vaccine later on.
I would have no issues taking it - unfortunately my employer like many countries is only recognising WHO. In my opinion no one should have to choose between doing the right thing (taking a vaccine) and their employment situation. Of course in a few months its likely it gets approved but until then it's a no go. I have no idea on price comparisons either between the vaccines?

15 October 2021 by Clara Lussich
For several months, the government has had its sights set on tourism. This was made clear, firstly, with the administration of a third dose to reinforce the immunity of Uruguayans "in view of the summer", according to President Lacalle Pou himself. And, secondly, with the decree issued last week by the Ministry of Public Health (MSP) exempting unvaccinated foreign minors entering with their parents from quarantine. Finally, yesterday it was confirmed that the Executive Power is going to offer vaccination to all foreigners arriving in the country after November 1st, when the total opening of the borders will take place.

Yesterday afternoon, the Minister of Tourism, Tabaré Viera, met with Lacalle Pou and, after the meeting, confirmed that he has "the endorsement of the President" to start implementing the administration of anti-virus vaccines to foreigners. As Uruguay requires tourists to have the initial vaccination schedule, those arriving in the country from November onwards will already have two doses. The government's plan is to provide them with the third one as a booster. In addition, in the case of families coming with their children and living in countries where vaccination against COVID-19 is not approved for minors between 12 and 18 years of age, Uruguay would also administer the corresponding doses to them. "It will have certain conditions and surely (it will be necessary) to have some days beforehand in Uruguay for the coordination with the vaccination center".

"In the next few days we will be implementing its application, with priority being given to the Uruguayan population", the source indicated. In this sense, according to El País, the government's idea is to administer the doses to foreigners "simultaneously" with the rest of Uruguayans who have not yet received a first, second or third dose against COVID-19. Although Viera's announcements seemed to confirm the vaccination of tourists in Uruguay, the Secretary of the Presidency, Álvaro Delgado, told El País that the matter is still "being evaluated" based on the availability of vaccines. "We have meetings with Pfizer this week to see the availability between now and the end of the year and to ensure the vaccines first for Uruguayans who want to get a booster with Pfizer and then raise that possibility," Delgado explained....

I know its a hard concept to understand but in every first world country citizens actually have a choice as to which vaccine they stick in their body.
In England the NHS decide which Covid vaccine an individual will receive. Incidentally there is no private supply of Covid vaccine in the UK - it all comes through the NHS.

In England the NHS decide which Covid vaccine an individual will receive. Incidentally there is no private supply of Covid vaccine in the UK - it all comes through the NHS.
Yes, that was the experience of my family member there, it was Pfizer or nothing, no options. Even though Pfizer is known to cause strong side effects and allergic reactions in some people (they were actually trying to recover a person with an epi-pen when she was being vaccinated).

15 October 2021 by Clara Lussich
So, to summarize, it's decided, but nothing is decided yet :)

Other than in some specific cases like that of Somewhereinba I can't see how this is going to be of interest to people in Argentina. The offer is supposed to be Pfizer and Sinovac, maybe some would be desperate to get Pfizer, despite the recent reports on antibody decline after a few months, I don't see a lot of people queueing up for Sinovac, and I think pretty much anyone with a DNI can walk into a vaccine centre in Argentina and get a shot now anyway.

Seems like a lot of showboating to me. I think Panama started their tourist vaccination with none of this fuss.

15 October 2021 by David Shepardson

15 October 2021
...."Six vaccines that are authorized by the FDA or listed for emergency use by the WHO meet the criteria for travel to the United States," the spokeswoman said. Thus, the Russian vaccine Sputnik V, which is applied in some 70 countries -including Argentina- would be excluded from those accepted by the United States....According to the announcement, those who have a complete regimen with any of the following vaccines will be able to enter the United States: Moderna, Pfizer, Janssen, Oxford/Astrazeneca, Sinopharm and Sinovac....The same rules will also apply to non-essential travel at U.S. land borders and to visitors arriving in the United States by passenger ferry. "These travelers should be prepared to present proof of vaccination to a U.S. border official upon request," the official said. The U.S.-Mexico land border will reopen on November 8, Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard said Friday, after being closed for non-essential activities due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Descalzi an Uruguayan journalist stated today that come Nov 4th. Uruguay will open for tourism and offer a 3rd. shot of Pfizer for foreigners

Back