Creating a volunteer website

sivan

Registered
I have been in Buenos Aires for 7 years and have really struggled to find somewhere to volunteer. Most of the places I have found charge some sort of fee and while i understand the reasoning behind that i also believe that you should be allowed to volunteer for free.

i had an idea that i would like to create a website which would provide information and contact details to organisations that are in need of volunteers, effectively removing the middle man and allowing people to talk directly to whoever they want to volunteer with without paying a fee.

the problem is that this is a rather overwhelming task!! i thought maybe we could get a group of people together to try and figure out a way to get this done.
there is absolutely no money involved in this at all. im just frustrated with how hard it is to volunteer in this city and i would like to try and change that.

if anyone wants to be involved in this or if you just know of an organisation that needs volunteers please let me know!

[email protected]

idealistas.org is a great place to go for volunteering positions in Arg or work in the social sector.

Idealist is great and was the inspiration for what i would like to do. however it doesnt have all the organisations in buenos aires, some of the organisations they do have no longer exist and there are also ads for third parties who you need to pay in order to volunteer.
i want to try to make a yellow pages of places to volunteer. it would be organisations not individual opportunities in both english and spanish.

Great idea Sivan. . . I don't have the time/spanish/patience required to physically get involved with a volunteer organization, but I am a web developer / I.T. geek.

I'd be happy to help set up the site, message me if you'd like to get in touch

Great idea!!! I'm also having trouble with finding a good volunteer position here. I'd love to help out, I'll PM you my details.

sivan said:
I have been in Buenos Aires for 7 years and have really struggled to find somewhere to volunteer. Most of the places I have found charge some sort of fee and while i understand the reasoning behind that i also believe that you should be allowed to volunteer for free.

i had an idea that i would like to create a website which would provide information and contact details to organisations that are in need of volunteers, effectively removing the middle man and allowing people to talk directly to whoever they want to volunteer with without paying a fee.

the problem is that this is a rather overwhelming task!! i thought maybe we could get a group of people together to try and figure out a way to get this done.
there is absolutely no money involved in this at all. im just frustrated with how hard it is to volunteer in this city and i would like to try and change that.

if anyone wants to be involved in this or if you just know of an organisation that needs volunteers please let me know!

[email protected]

I think it's a great idea. I have about 15 years experience in building websites for businesses and organizations. Anyway I can help, I will.

I do think that the key is for the site to be clean and simple.

And volunteer groups should be able to easily add their own listings via a directory system.

Pre-designed directory database systems exist that are easy to add. Then of course, there is a moderation staff to approve or reject a listing. It becomes as easy a process to maintain that way, as it's as easy as an automated email sent to the moderators to approve...much like anyone with a blog gets an email notification to approve/reject comments on their sites. I know a few examples of easy PHP based platforms to use.

And of course, since there might be a language barrier, it's as easy as adding the Google Translate code to the site so all users can select a language to translate the original page/listing language to something they understand ;)

Back