Crime---again....

Quantum Sparkplug

Registered
Sorry...As a newbie, I want to ask a few questions about this issue and make a few observations. I haven't been to Argentina but have travelled in the Caribbean quite extensively in the last year and wonder if this might provide some insight.

When I was travelling, I didn't feel terribly threatened but felt like a visible minority almost everywhere. My litmus test questions about safety, walking down any given street were:

If I am jumped in broad daylight -- mugged, assaulted, will the locals come to my aid, or will they get a bit of a vicarious thrill watching the American get what's coming?

As a visible minority, is the risk level for this kind of crime greater or lesser and how much of it is rooted in local resentment, poverty....how is wealth distributed here?

When I read about crime in Argentina, it seems that crime against a foreigner or expat might be rooted partly in resentment. And could it be that part of that problem isn't how the wealth IS distributed but about how it WAS distributed in the past?

Also, in Argentina, are the cops lazy or are they really really dirty? Are they fencing merchandise on the side? Out-of-control crime of this nature indicates either some kind of political change of the guard right down to the level of cops on the beat, an amazing level of corruption, or both.

Thanks

Quantum Sparkplug said:
As a visible minority, is the risk level for this kind of crime greater or lesser and how much of it is rooted in local resentment, poverty....how is wealth distributed here?

I'm just curious what you mean by "visible minority." Argentina is definitely not the Caribbean.

A foreign represents better loot. Don't look into it any further.
You are supposed to carry better electronics and foreign currency to take you places and enjoy life. Us chickens carry mostly lint in our wallets and holes in our pockets.

Cops are mostly prevented to do anything effective, therefore their preferred/regular customers are indeed the criminal element and not the occasional victims they see once in a lifetime. Sad logic.

Dress as a local and look like a hardened target so the BG will look for something easier and quicker to handle. Heard this same advise when I first ventured to NYC a lifetime ago.

If you are white, you won't be a visible minority in Argentina. I get walked up to all the time and asked for directions, and I am white-bread white.

Though Buenos Aires is quite a melting pot now with nationalities from all over the world living here pretty much like NYC or London.

In last one month, I met people from at least 30 different countries at different get togethers in BA!

I personally feel at least Capital Federal is above color, race, religion issues.

If you have money and show it, you are a target.

If you live in a fancy building or a ordinary building with no security and you are not prepared , you are a target.

If you go to places of ill repute and dont know where you are going, you are a target.

If you venture out of Capital Federal to the provinces of BA to check them out, you are a target.

If you look as someone who can be easily toppled over , you are a target.

BA is not for the fragile/weak hearted expat. Do not come here for sight seeing or for some meagre paying job with your life at stake. Go somewhere else! The whole world is your oyster!

I am personally very happy with the cops here. Whenever I have approached them, they have always helped me.

Though I know most posters will disagree with me. But such is my experience with the cops.

Many times cops from countries such as Argentina, have their hands tied behind their back due to the politics. This does not mean that they are incapable. Its just that they can not do, what all they want to do. And also their salaries are not same, as well paid cop from a rich country, which of course lowers the motivation.

Whenever I see a cop on the street, i always salute him out of respect. I have been doing this for years.

In my 5-6 years in BA, I have approached cops 4-5 times for different issues and was always assisted 100% by them.

I love BA, its people ( including my landlord who does not give me 30 MB internet!), its cops ( who are always so helpful to me), its brilliant lawyers ( really smart hard working guys), its government offices which take time to deliver but do so ultimately, its banks though not good for storing 100K us$ but good for doing various banking needs etc etc... and everything it has to offer despite some obvious glitches and henceforth I live here.

And most importantly, I love the women here!!!

I fail to understand those expats who continue to suffer in BA, abuse BA but continue living here. That an enigma for me..honestly! Just goes over my head. When the whole world is your oyster, why live in a country, which you despise.

Just the other day, i was walking on the street late in the night after visiting a place of ill repute. I was on my way to catch a taxi on a desolate street. A guy came behind me at high speed on roller skates.

By the way, I am not someone who daydreams in BA. I am alert 24/7 with all my 5 senses working overtime. I even sleep in the night in my high security/ heavily guarded apartment building,firmly holding a very heavy weight baton under my blanket. I normally never carry more than 400-600 pesos and always have back-up pesos in my apartment if I run out of pesos and have to take taxi home. I do not carry any bank cards any more and neither I carry my driving license anymore. i do carry my iphone though because I am just unable to use a cheap phone.

So this guy on roller skates behind me. i had already heard him ( with my senses alert). As i thought, he tried to come very close to me, put his hand in my pocket for the wallet and skate away. The moment he creeps up on me, I had my leg entangled in his leg in such a way and so quickly at that, the poor guy fell head fast, on the pavement.

Within few seconds I was lucky to get a taxi and proceed on my way home. I did not even bother to look behind me what happened to the skater. When you live in a city full of vultures/rats, you don't bother to see what happened to the vulture/rat you just kicked away from you. At most, they get up and look for another prey. Harsh as it may sound.

This was just a example for faint hearted expats who may be looking to relocate here. Yes, something may nothing happen to you. But don''t be 100 sure about it. But then if you dont plan to venture out in night time, dont plan to do any extra co-curricular activities in BA, lead a life of a hermit, live in safe /high profile neighborhoods , you would be pretty much safe here.

sleslie23 said:
I'm just curious what you mean by "visible minority." Argentina is definitely not the Caribbean.

When I lived in Southern Europe many years ago I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb, even though I dressed like a local, just by virtue of the fact that I was much taller and didn't speak the language at all fluently.

When I travelled in England about a decade ago, my brother and I played, "Spot the American", at the airport. I'm sure there were some we missed but it was remarkable how many we could spot from over a hundred yards, just by the way they walked!

Ceviche said:
I am personally very happy with the cops here. Whenever I have approached them, they have always helped me.

Though I know most posters will disagree with me. But such is my experience with the cops.

Many times cops from countries such as argentina have their hands tied behind their back due to the politics. This does not mean that they are incapable. Its just that they can not do, what all they want to do. And also their salaries are not same as cop from a rich country, which of course lowers the motivation.

Whenever I see a cop on the street, i always salute him out of respect. I have been doing this for years.

In my 5-6 years in BA, I have approached cops 4-5 times for different issues and was always assisted 100% by them.

I love BA, its people ( including my landlord who does not give me 30 MB internet!), its cops, its brilliant lawyers, its government offices which take time to deliver but do so ultimately, its banks though not good for storing 100K us$ but good for doing various banking needs etc etc... and everything it has to offer despite some obvious glitches and henceforth I live here.

And most importantly, I love the women here!!! They are so damn sexy and hot!

I fail to understand those expats who continue to suffer in BA, abuse BA but continue living here. That an enigma for me..honestly! Just goes over my head. When the whole world is your oyster, why live in a country, which you despise.

The cops not doing their job due to the lack of money available for law enforcement, because they are in a poor country, is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have a good attitude, though. I'm sure you would be happy almost anywhere!

Iznogud said:
A foreign represents better loot. Don't look into it any further.
You are supposed to carry better electronics and foreign currency to take you places and enjoy life. Us chickens carry mostly lint in our wallets and holes in our pockets.

Cops are mostly prevented to do anything effective, therefore their preferred/regular customers are indeed the criminal element and not the occasional victims they see once in a lifetime. Sad logic.

Dress as a local and look like a hardened target so the BG will look for something easier and quicker to handle. Heard this same advise when I first ventured to NYC a lifetime ago.

Is this why dogs are so popular in BA, too? Are they partly for protection?

Back