Crime Map

gouchobob said:
I didn't make the political point, you did. I am only pointing out the inconsistency of your position. Your position seems to be to criticize one source (which may be suspect I really don't know or do you) while seemingly defending another which is totally indefensible, i.e. the total lack of stats from the government which in mind has the responsibility of providing same. I guess there is no crime in B.A. except to the opponents the current regime.

Where in
Yes, we would all like more detailed and more reliable statistics
am I defending the recent lack of government crime statistics?

gouchobob said:
Your position seems to be to criticize one source (which may be suspect I really don't know or do you)

Well many of the criticisms that were made two years ago when this map was launched have been made in this thread such as:

1. The fact that it was launched by a politician in the lead up to an election
2. The fact that there is no verification of the public input on the map (see rubber penis) and the editing and monitoring is done by the staffers of the same politician
3. The fact that it will give a skewed spatial dstribution being denser in areas where people can afford internet connections in their homes or to access the internet publicly.

and we can add

4. The fact that contributions to the map (real and imaginary) have declined dramtically since the election 2 years ago.

I feel there is enough there to approach the map with a healthy dose of skepticism but feel free to draw your own conclusions.

PS - Crime statistics can be compiled from numerous 'official' sources (from court or police records etc) and at provincial as well as federal level - there are still sources of statistics available other than the Indec compilation to those interested.

jp said:
There isn't a total lack of statistics. You just need to be aware of where to look for them, and how to assess their worth.

http://www.utdt.edu/ver_contenido.php?id_contenido=968&id_item_menu=2156

How is this study/report any different if it has been performed by a private University? Do you know who owns this school? What are their political views/interests? How does this differ from anything started by a politician or any private?

nikad said:
How is this study/report any different if it has been performed by a private University? Do you know who owns this school? What are their political views/interests? How does this differ from anything started by a politician or any private?

Well, the report has a methodology which can be reviewed (and which has several faults in my opinion but it is one source to utilise in order to assess what is happening).

nikad said:

The survey is a continuously tracking study of victimisation, and uses a methodology comparable to most similar tracking studies performed around the world. The methodology is open and can be analysed, their sampling techniques scrutinized as can their attempts to build a representative sample.
Sure, its open to political manipulation, and you can critique the methodology they use but its still a more comprehensive survey run by a different type of institutions to different ends.

The mapa de la inseguridad could have been a great project if they had an ongoing commitment to providing quality data. Its not the format itself thats wrong, its the execution. But then it was only really created to help someone win an election, it served its purpose and now its redundant.

jp said:
The survey is a continuously tracking study of victimisation, and uses a methodology comparable to most similar tracking studies performed around the world. The methodology is open and can be analysed, their sampling techniques scrutinized as can their attempts to build a representative sample.
Sure, its open to political manipulation, and you can critique the methodology they use but its still a more comprehensive survey run by a different type of institutions to different ends.

The mapa de la inseguridad could have been a great project if they had an ongoing commitment to providing quality data. Its not the format itself thats wrong, its the execution. But then it was only really created to help someone win an election, it served its purpose and now its redundant.

Well I for one would not blame the mapa creators, but the people. The lack of interest, the complaints that just take place in a coffee store, or on random newspapers, forums, etc. I think the idea is a very good one, but not enough participation, heck if people a lot of times do not even bother reporting petty thefts, etc why would they bother with this either? I think it would be interesting to hear the voice of those that suffered crimes, without any media or govt stats in the middle. The cited study from Universidad Di Tella might follow the scientific method, but don´t you find it strange that it is under the " business " category ?

What nonsense, still my questions have not been answered by those trying to make this a political issue. If the stats exist why doesn't the government provide them to dispel the issue? How does attacking the people who provide this limited view of crime in B.A. help in providing an understanding of crime in B.A.? If the information provided in the map is incorrect please provide independent and authoritative alternative sources. While you are at it quit apologizing/defending for this most incompetent and ineffective of regimes.

Wow, thanks for posting the link to the crime map, Nikad. I just found out that someone in my building is a known coke/pot dealer! That explains why the hallway always smells like weed and why the guy downstairs has so many ''friends'' stopping by all the time.

jp said:

The mapa de la inseguridad could have been a great project if they had an ongoing commitment to providing quality data. Its not the format itself thats wrong, its the execution.

But then it was only really created to help someone win an election, it served its purpose and now its redundant.

Indeed....

Back