Crime sensation and real crime! opinion

lamarque said:
Fifs is true everybody can suffer this bad situations in any place on earth, when that happen to one it make change the perception of that place, people has suffer bad thinks and people not in this city, is difficult for anyone to put in the position of the others, people that has pass in one place immune to crime will see all safer than it is in the other hand people that has suffer some crime will see all darker than it is, the point of the thread is to discuss and people have to realize including myself that the true is always in the middle, the other topic was how much of the perception is due to the media and how much of it is about something that some one has really suffer.
One example of perception for me is that I got robbed 2 times 1 knife point and the other pickpocket in the last year in Europe, and my girlfriend got stolen 2 time in Paris in a period of 2 month that she stay there with me (that not counting almost 6 bikes in 2 month of living in Amsterdam and 1 house break i didn't loose nothing of value here but my housemates did still the guy was not armed with a gun was armed with a steel bar so i didn't scare that much as i would have done if he had a gun, anyway I know that mainly in amsterdam more than pick pocketing, lot of bikes stolen and some than some other break house without so much violence from some drugged guy struggling for money is a safe city overall), the city’s were i got successfully stolen (Roma and Paris) win a very bad perception in my head after that, but I know that my experience make me feel that this city’s are unsafer than the reality, now a days I know better that perception is not always reality and I know that europe beside my personal experience is a safe place with some bad places, that is normal in any big metropolis. The point is that people when suffer some bad episode see think darker than they are the same when the case is the opposite that why is interesting to see every point of view.[/QUOTE

Couldnt agree more lamarque and like many others i appreciate this thread. I have lived in ireland, us, sudan, yemen, egypt and bsas and only suffered crime in the latter so my perception of such is irrevocably altered...many others may fibd bsas one of the safest places in my list...every ones view is valid..i just feel an extreme need to empathise with bsas crime victims which is my own point of reference.

Bomber, Lamarque where do you guys think BsAs sits in terms of safety amongst other world capitals / countries? I am curious.

trennod said:
Bomber, Lamarque where do you guys think BsAs sits in terms of safety amongst other world capitals / countries? I am curious.

Not sure, that why i open this thread, because is dificult to get some real information that we can trust on, beside the murder rate, but as some people has point correctly the chance to get killed is not proporcional to the chance of getting robbed, and as the only info we can trust in is the murder rate so is imposible for me to tell where stand Buenos Aires, historically was considered a relatively safe city but who knows now a days. If we only base our measure on the chance of some one killing you it can be considered a relatively safe city, but the other criminal activities i don't have a clue, veryyy dificult to say. What is your thinking about where stand this city trennod? (dificult question isn't it lol)
The other question you should make your self is what you consider a world capital, in order to make a comparation you have to use citys with similar size

I have said it before (and only opinion), I think Latin America, some parts of Africa and perhaps middle east (war torn, yes I know) are the unsafest regions in the world. IN their own league, well below Europe in general, Asia, North America & Oceania region (Aus, NZ etc). I think in Latin America, my opinion would be that Uruguay, Chile are better. Some Central American countries & Brazil are probably worse.

nicoenarg said:
I actually wasn't going against anything you said. I was just mentioning what I would prefer. And not wanting to get into an argument with you here, I'll just explain why I said it.

Sure, my post came across as more argumentative than I meant it to. I should have added one of those little smiley things. :):D:p

I would like to offer a different explanation based on something I have read in "The Black Swan "by Nassim Taleb .
If I understand correctly he is saying that we are more likely to pay heed to a story that was told to us "personally " and we are likely to let it slide without examination. Reading it in a newspaper puts it at a distance. Faced with comments like "all my friends have been subject to...X " makes us worry as we feel part of a community while if we were to read it in the "Daily Spit " ;) we would question where the person lived ,their habits their friends their street cred and many other things. Somehow we are programmed by education or culture to pay heed to what is being said to us directly albeit in a forum. Tv is also our "friend" that talks to us ,written word in book form or newspaper form is less friendly .It gives us time to digest while the onslaught of the latest robbery at the point of a champagne cork on TV leaves us no time to engage our reasoning facilities, but we react on instinct. Something like that .

trennod said:
I have said it before (and only opinion), I think Latin America, some parts of Africa and perhaps middle east (war torn, yes I know) are the unsafest regions in the world. IN their own league, well below Europe in general, Asia, North America & Oceania region (Aus, NZ etc). I think in Latin America, my opinion would be that Uruguay, Chile are better. Some Central American countries & Brazil are probably worse.

Ok if it only opinion and articles that i read i would say that is not as safe as chile and uruguay and much more safer than the rest of latin america with maybe some exeption but not sure, still that is only opinion as you say. Anyway that is when you compared entire countrys, then citys is more diferent to compare as size are diferent.

trennod said:
I would really place it somewhere in the middle... it's nowhere near as dangerous as a place like Nairobi, for example, and yet many people live their whole life in Nairobi and never have an issue. And there are certain places in certain US cities (not many of them) that are far more dangerous in my opinion and from what I've read (as inaccurate as that can be, as we've discussed in this thread).

I really don't regard BA as that dangerous, but then again I've lived in a range of places over the years, some less dangerous, some more dangerous - supposedly - so maybe I'm just a bit more used to how things are in more places, I don't know. I've been mugged in Nairobi, but that was because I was walking somewhere at the wrong time of day and not taking notice of my surroundings, so could have been avoided. I could get mugged in BA, but I don't regard that as any more chance of happening than if I lived in NYC, for example. I walk home drunk from bars late at night, I get taxi rides at night when I'm drunk ...etc.

What I don't ever want to happen to me is like with a German couple I met in Boliva, we were arriving into Sucre by bus but had to stop about 5km outside town due to a strike/blockade, everyone had to walk. It was daylight, morning, and many people were getting taxis who were taking advantage of the situation. I said lets get a taxi. The girl said no, it's not safe to catch a taxi in Bolivia. I just looked at them, asked if she was serious (Sucre is very safe), she was, and so just got a taxi myself for a few dimes. Not going to walk 5km with full backpack on for no reason.

Aleina Dee said:
I would like to offer a different explanation based on something I have read in "The Black Swan "by Nassim Taleb .
If I understand correctly he is saying that we are more likely to pay heed to a story that was told to us "personally " and we are likely to let it slide without examination. Reading it in a newspaper puts it at a distance. Faced with comments like "all my friends have been subject to...X " makes us worry as we feel part of a community while if we were to read it in the "Daily Spit " ;) we would question where the person lived ,their habits their friends their street cred and many other things. Somehow we are programmed by education or culture to pay heed to what is being said to us directly albeit in a forum. Tv is also our "friend" that talks to us ,written word in book form or newspaper form is less friendly .It gives us time to digest while the onslaught of the latest robbery at the point of a champagne cork on TV leaves us no time to engage our reasoning facilities, but we react on instinct. Something like that .
Completely agree with this. It's why I try to not let my judgement be clouded by personal opinion, as far as it's possible to. Hence why it would take far more than the tiny percentage of expats on this forum to convince me BA is such a dangerous city, especially when I know of so many locals/long term residents who have never had an issue. And hence why dispute being robbed twice traveling I don't hide at home and worry about it, since the vast majority of travelers don't get robbed.

It doesn't mean I would never change my mind, but I would do that from facts, not from opinions.

But just my 2c. ;)

bomber said:
(Sucre is very safe), she was, and so just got a taxi myself for a few dimes. Not going to walk 5km with full backpack on for no reason.

Off the topic. The most dangerous place to hail taxis is New Delhi ( India) airport in middle of the night and being white skinned. You wont likely ever see next morning again.

Back