Crime

I am a retired US Federal Law Enforcement Officer. I felt safer in Buenos Aires and Bogota (there now) then I do when I go to Detroit and I am always armed when I am in Detroit.

I mentioned this in another thread but a Colombian Couple and my wife and I walked from Las Heras/Ugarteche to Cervino and Sinclair via Santa Fe in the early evening recently. Someone started to follow up and after some "I see you following us" stares he crossed to the other side of Santa Fe and kept eyeing us - as I would glare back at him...not being a victim. Sadly, on the walk back to the apartment they were staying at on Las Heras they met a motorcyclist and accomplice who relieved him of his watch. It happens especially if you're not paying attention to your surroundings. I wouldn't call the neighborhood a bad neighborhood - but the stretch of Santa Fe from Plaza Italia to Bulnes wouldn't be my take a walk at night choice.

You can walk safely in Puerto Madero so long as you're not a prosecutor preparing a case that might expose government corruption. San Telmo is a bit dodgier, but if you stick to well-lighted streets you should be OK. I would avoid La Boca at night except by taxi. That said, almost every part of Buenos Aires is safer than any part of Detroit.

You are not fair, for prosecutor is dangerous to go to the bathroom...

cwo4 you were in my hood. if you go right on las heras towards santa fe its all business district. never good at night. visit cervino or cabello or towards the zoo or park. good all night long. good job paying attention. generally all it takes. you are trained. most people that get into trouble don't pay attention to potential threats. if they are moving fast and closer than 15ft. your in trouble.

I plan on walking la boca late at night with $100 u.s. Bills dangling out of my pockets just to see if I can make it back to my recoleta sanctuary alive.......odds anyone ?

Stupid to compare places. You can't be in 2 places at the same time. So there is only #1 and that is where ever you are at the moment.

Back