Crisynomics At Work: Argentina Is Low Debt Superstar

Matias,

It's easy to stay out of debt -- for a while anyway -- if you print enough money to pay the debt.

Of course, this causes massive inflation, which in turn dramatically increases poverty, which in turn dramatically increases crime.

But, of course, we know that inflation isn't important, right? Ask the jubilados (of which you will be one someday), who receive increases each year of 15% while prices increase each year by 30%, drastically reducing their purchasing power. The same thing has been going on for the people receiving plans (more each day). They just keep getting poorer. Each day I see more people going through the garbage looking for food and sleeping in the street.

Inflation prevents people from being able to save money, since their pesos are worth less with each passing minute.

Inflation also causes a massive decrease in competitiveness and productivity, which ultimately leads to severe recession. 40% of the businesses in calle Defensa have Alquiler signs on them. It's like a ghost town.

There's no money for new investment. The government takes 80% of the money from soybeans, so that the farmers can't modernize. The country's infrastructure is collapsing. Energy imports are consuming the country's remaining reserves at an alarming rate.

And so, now, the government has finally decided that it would like to borrow some money after all. They even admit that they desperately need it. (How could that be so? Argentina is so well managed.)

But where can they get this money?

Oh, yeah. The vast, untapped illegal money market. Laundry done cheap. The problem is that very few people are in a good position to take advantage of it. And those people have serious doubts and worries. "Will the government really pay me back when the time comes? Will they repeal the law and reveal my name? Could I face charges? Will I end up on Periodismo Para Todos?" For a very risky 4% return, I doubt much of that money is going to see the light of day. Most analysts agree.

And in another genius move, as part of this heinous project, they've created the CEDIN. "Better than dollars," says Kicillof. Yes, Kicillof, better than dollars, because they're like travellers checks. If you lose them, they're insured. And you can spend them anywhere. ---- What? You can't spend them anywhere? Only in Argentina? And only if you can find somebody else to buy them from you? And the Argentine government requires that you meet "certain requirements" before you can exchange them for the old, outdated type that are issued by the US government? And the government keeps track of exactly how many you have? Really?

Well, if Kicillof says they're better, who am I to argue?

Anyway, they're almost as good as Disney dollars. But at Disney, you can change your Disney dollars back to real dollars without government permission or the need to fill out any forms. And each Disney dollar will always be worth a dollar. There's still time. Maybe they can change the law and issue Disney dollars instead of CEDINs. I mean, that would be so much more practical. According to Abal Medina and Julio De Vido (how about that -- he has a street named after him now -- we can give him a photo of it to hang in his jail cell when the time comes), everybody in Argentina goes to Miami a few times a year, so exchanging Disney dollars would be much easier than dealing with CEDINs. I might even accept Disney dollars as payment for my apartment. CEDINS, never.

Argentina. Solid as a rock, like never before.

INDEC is only concerned about fudging the Inflation numbers. The other numbers are as accurate as Richone's Fine Swiss timepiece.

This is just totally untrue. According the INDEC, the poverty rate is 5.5% and indigence is less than 2%. It says that the impoverished provinces in the north have unemployment rates of less than 1%. And they tell the world these numbers as if they're true.

Only a fool would rely on any information from the INDEC without trustworthy independent verification.

This is just totally untrue. According the INDEC, the poverty rate is 5.5% and indigence is less than 2%. It says that the impoverished provinces in the north have unemployment rates of less than 1%. And they tell the world these numbers as if they're true.

Only a fool would rely on any information from the INDEC without trustworthy independent verification.

and we can eat three meals for how many pesos a day?

and we can eat three meals for how many pesos a day?

This is the worst thing of all, because the government uses that number (the inflation number that translates into "4 meals and a cafecito for $6 pesos a day") to reduce payments to holders of bonds tied to the inflation rate, cheating the bondholders out of hundreds of millions.

And can you guess who the biggest holder of those bonds is? That's right. The ANSES.

This is the worst thing of all, because the government uses that number (the inflation number that translates into "4 meals and a cafecito for $6 pesos a day") to reduce payments to holders of bonds tied to the inflation rate, cheating the bondholders out of hundreds of dollars

Well, it is soo sad. It is soo terrible to see a President who protects its country interest instead of behaving as an Mc Donald employed of foreign bondholders....snifff, snifff

They also made him into a straw-man. Neo-liberalism is Menem which means all those opposing the current political establishment are in favor of dolling out public money to their rich crony friends. And they are also in favor of destructive policies like fixed exchange rates (an inherently NON Neo-Liberal policy) or taking on large amounts of debt (also an inherently NON Neo-Liberal policy).

The Argentine political establishment's version of "Neo-Liberal" is unique. And it is unique because it is a pure construction of a straw man to thwart any attempt to direct the country to policies that have worked elsewhere - even in neighboring countries - like Chile.

This subterfuge has been so successful, it has condemned Argentina to follow in the footsteps of Venezuela and Cuba instead of countries like Chile, Columbia and Peru. These later countries are deemed to have recently pursued Neo-liberal policies, which despite their recent record of economic improvement, are quickly dismissed simply for being Neo-Liberal.

Are you proposing a conspiracy theory???
Come on!
You cannot compare Argentina with the Pacific Alliance countries, they are ally of the US and this is someting that can never happens with Argentina because we compete with the US for food markets.
You know, AR politicians (left, center and righ) understood this after the war of south atlantic. The US pretended to be our allied...only a morron like Massera can buy that.
On the other hand, you are half righ. Probably real neo liberalism has nothing to do with the AR version. For AR politicians neo is a white card that allow them to robb.
Personally, i think that it can only works in a strong economy becaouse it is like training for an anemic, not good

Look, I've been living in Buenos Aires for many years. I've even been a member of this site since the beginning of 2008. I just haven't posted to the forums.

I've met lots of people like you, and I'm not going to get into a debate with you. I've read a lot of the comments here, and I see that some of the people here have some affection for you. I do not. You're a typical kirchnerista. You're a liar, and you try to smear, minimize and discredit anyone who disagrees with you. I know your playbook well.

For the record, I have my own money, which I earned. I don't get paid by anyone to write things and I have no vested interest in this government (unlike you).

I also have observed, by reading the comments, that nobody believes a word you say -- thank god; I'd be very worried it they did.

Some people here find you amusing. I do not. There are millions of people in this country suffering because of people like you, and I look forward to the day when this government is out of power, and hopefully most of the administration are in prison.

If you don't see me responding to any more of your inane posts, it's because I'm ignoring you. I don't have a lot of time to waste replying to ridiculous posts like yours.

Look, Bajo K. I've lived in Buenos Aires for many years. I have an Argentine wife. I've been a member of this site for years; I've just never posted here.

I'm not going to debate you, and I'm not going to waste my time responding to you. I've read through others' posts, and I see that although some people here have some affection for you, nobody believes a word you say. Thank God.

If you don't see me responding to your posts, it's because it's not worth my time to do so. So go ahead and say all the ridiculous things you want to say about me. Nobody's paying any attention.

I had much more to say, but my first two messages were censored; for what reason, I don't know.

Goodbye, Bajo.

Well, it is soo sad. It is soo terrible to see a President who protects its country interest

by having since 2007 an inflation rate above 20% each year? by devaluating our currency over 70% since she took over presidency (picture)? by pushing away people with dollars to invest in the country due to her economic policies (reduction of 75% in IED btw, src or src2)?

Yes, she is really concerned for the country's interest..

Back