Crongresswoman Shot: AZ

All fair points, and although I'm dead against civilian gun ownership in my country, I understand that its an important part of american culture.

I would say though that gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right. You shouldn't be able to buy guns which are designed to massacre. Automatic weapons, or high capacity magazines are not necessary for hunting or protection.

Also doesn't really make sense that catastrophically mental unstable people (like the shooter) can legally buy weapons on the high street.

If you are going to accept guns as part of culture, you can still be geared towards responsible ownership, working on the principal of ownership being privilege that can be withdrawn.

People driving cars will have accidents and people will die. People know the risks, and people accept the risks. Still doesn't stop the government mandating seatbelt use, eyesight tests, speed tests, vehicle safety checks etc. Its accepted that people will die, but safety can be prioritised.

People who own guns will use them, sometimes accidentally, sometimes criminally. Again, its a risk that is known and largely accepted - but risks can still be partially mitigated through mandating better background checks, restricting sales of certain types of weapon etc.

Back