crossing border with a 110c motorbike

unix01

Registered
Hi,

I am thinking about traveling with my little 110c Motorbike around in Southamerica. My motorbike is registered in Argentina, Capital Federal, on my Name.

I know of tourists who have done this but with bikes and cars registered in their country of origen.

I heard of stories that as a tourist you are not allowed crossing a border to another country like Bolivia, Paraguay or Chile with a motorbike, registered in Argentina, as a tourist, even though it is your own bike. :confused:

Is this true or just a joke?

It's not a joke although it's certain this applies to autos, likely it applies too to motorcycles as well. If you wish I can ask my bike dealer.

Travelling across South America on a 110 CC is an adventure in itself !

unix01 said:
Hi,

I am thinking about traveling with my little 110c Motorbike around in Southamerica. My motorbike is registered in Argentina, Capital Federal, on my Name.

I know of tourists who have done this but with bikes and cars registered in their country of origen.

I heard of stories that as a tourist you are not allowed crossing a border to another country like Bolivia, Paraguay or Chile with a motorbike, registered in Argentina, as a tourist, even though it is your own bike. :confused:

Is this true or just a joke?

I don't know about the border, but if you weigh more than 60 Kgs they should let you through just for the effort. I would not try and travel more than 20 miles on a bike that small :eek:

Good luck mate, sounds like real fun. Would love to join you, but honestly I wouldn't do it on less than 250cc.

All the bikers here should gather someday for a ride, that would be fun.
I'm trying to find an offroad path not too far from Capital, it seems it's possible to join Lujan from Pilar driving offroad but I need to confirm

Furthermore I guess it's a 4T without any "estabilizador de ciguenal", hence you are going to feel VvVvViIiiBbbRrrAaTttTiIioNnnSss, could be the worst part, and it won't be the Beach Boys ones

As has been said, it sounds like a foolish..... However, if you're determined to go, why don't you go to the different consulates and get the official answers?

maybe i would be better off selling the 110c and buy a bicimoto with a 50cc motor. this one does not need a chapa (vehicle registration plates) and thus the border can not say anything. o what u think?

Well, with a 50cc you won't even reach the border, but you can reach the buquebus terminal in puerto madero.

Seriously, if you do it on a 50cc, post a blog with pictures and you are going to be famous worldwide. Driving at 50 km/h on provincials "ruta nacional" will be the first challenge.
Crossing mountains will be the second. You are an Unix1 like tells your nickname :p

unix01 said:
maybe i would be better off selling the 110c and buy a bicimoto with a 50cc motor. this one does not need a chapa (vehicle registration plates) and thus the border can not say anything. o what u think?

I think it's an excellent idea! Go for it!!! it'll be really fun and you can see lots of places. Don't forget to blog about it.

Back