Crossing Iguazu border into Brazil

I spend a month or two at a time in the area for years now, it didn't used to be like that but that's how it is now. There's not always a large line, but more often than not there is. Most of the time, if you're in an official taxi it won't apply to you, but IMO unless you really need something in Brazil I wouldn't risk crossing. Most land borders with Paraguay, Brazil & a few Bolivian ones are like this now. Do not expect quick crossings.

Just a tip for those doing tourism in the area, that entire Parana River area is filled with gorgeous waterfalls, probably dozens - Iguazu just happens to be the most touristy. If you rent a car in Foz or CDE, then drive up to Guaira, I think that waterfall is actually bigger in terms of volume than Iguazu & there's 0 tourists (there's not much accommodation options either). Iguazu area is gorgeous but suffers from mass tourism.
So if I use an official taxi I can likely bypass long waits? I wouldn’t mind paying extra to bypass the queues as time is arguably the most valuable commodity on such a short trip.

I am sure renting a car would be a great way to see it better but I haven’t driven in too long to be comfortable driving here. I’ve never even driven a left hand drive haha

I just got back from ciudad del Este and was told, accurately, that you can cross 30 kilometers into Brazil from Paraguay without going though an immigration check. I went to iguazu falls from Paraguay into Brazil by car and walked back across the bridge past guards with not even a glance at me and my friend. I am from the USA and had my passport and temporary residency papers but had not been issued my DNI card yet. My friend is a citizen of Argentina and had a DNI but none were checked anyway. It was like I never left Paraguay! Of course, it wasn't from Argentina to Brazil and ymmv.

So if I use an official taxi I can likely bypass long waits? I wouldn’t mind paying extra to bypass the queues as time is arguably the most valuable commodity on such a short trip.

I am sure renting a car would be a great way to see it better but I haven’t driven in too long to be comfortable driving here. I’ve never even driven a left hand drive haha
Yes, probably. The problem is Brazilians come by the thousand everyday to buy food & fuel in Argentina (which costs 2-5x as much as it does in BR & PY). Argentine border authorities do everything possible to make sure they cross as slow as possible to discourage it.

Driving in Misiones is pleasant, there's not many cars on the road. Driving in Foz isn't that bad, but I'd say unless you've got a lot of experience in developing countries, don't try to drive on the Paraguayan side, there is wild.

To report back, I think I got super lucky. It took just 10 minutes for me to cross the border in a taxi, no queue or anything - literally only one car in front of ours. On the way back was a little busier but no more than 30 minutes. Taxi cost 14000 pesos and took me back extremely promptly, well worth it in my opinion. I took the taxi around 8:30 and returned about 15:00

Back