Crossing Land Borders w/Overstayed Visa - Plz Help

Shwidelson

Registered
Hey all....I will be crossing borders into Bolivia at La Quiaca/Villazon. My tourist visa is expired by almost 7 months. I think someone suggested that I go to Inmigraciones here in BA and square up there ahead of time. Does anyone know if I can simply expect to pay the $300 at the border without problems, or is there a reason to deal with it beforehand? Thanks much!

I've done that crossing 3 gazillion times, both with and without proper documents. They only check your docs if you get in the line to get your passport stamped; otherwise you can just cross right over the bridge. Furthermore, once I went through with a brutally expired Arg visa, crossed into Bolivia without paying for a Bolivian visa, and crossed back into Arg and got a new stamp for free, no questions asked.

On the other hand, on another occasion I got a Bolivian visa without even having an Argentine exit stamp.

Hope that helps!

EdRooney said:
I've done that crossing 3 gazillion times, both with and without proper documents. They only check your docs if you get in the line to get your passport stamped; otherwise you can just cross right over the bridge. Furthermore, once I went through with a brutally expired Arg visa, crossed into Bolivia without paying for a Bolivian visa, and crossed back into Arg and got a new stamp for free, no questions asked.

On the other hand, on another occasion I got a Bolivian visa without even having an Argentine exit stamp.

Hope that helps!

Thanks EdRoodney, I do appreciate the help. Sorry to bother you more, but hoping for some clarification. So even if I follow standard protocol, I can pay the $300 there at the time of my crossing without issue? And you are talking about avoiding the line for the exit stamp, right? I can possibly even avoid paying the $300 by simply bypassing the exit stamp line and crossing over the bridge? Is there any reason why I would need the exit stamp? As a U.S. citizen required to get the Bolivian tourist visa, I already have that sticker/stamp in my passport.

Thanks again for the advice.

Shwidelson said:
Thanks EdRoodney, I do appreciate the help. Sorry to bother you more, but hoping for some clarification. So even if I follow standard protocol, I can pay the $300 there at the time of my crossing without issue? And you are talking about avoiding the line for the exit stamp, right? I can possibly even avoid paying the $300 by simply bypassing the exit stamp line and crossing over the bridge? Is there any reason why I would need the exit stamp? As a U.S. citizen required to get the Bolivian tourist visa, I already have that sticker/stamp in my passport.

Thanks again for the advice.

You already have the Bolivian tourist visa? If so you should be okay...I don't think the "officers" are allowed to handle money at the borders. It would be too complicated. The Argentines may give you a hard time coming back in, have your acting skills on point!

I can speak for sure about my own experience, which was always to avoid a fee. Beyond that I can only suppose, and my intuition is that the gendarmes at the border have no clue about charging a fee for an overstayed visa. Since they started the overstay policy fee about four years ago I've crossed at various crossings to Bolivia and Uruguay and through Aeroparque. The only ones who seemed to be equipped to charge a fee or even know they should be charging one were the folks at Ezeiza.

But here's the question, if it's about getting your irregular documents back into order, why not just go from La Quiaca to Villazón and back in the same day? On the way back you can get your stamp, paperwork's now in order, and then head back to Bolivia with an extra $300 to blow on coca leaves and pique macho.

Ed

PS Mrs Rooney just reminded me that we once got harassed at the Aguas Blancas (Salta) crossing for not having all of our stamps in order, but harassed means we got frowned at and a stern talking to. Either way, no fines and docs are all in order.

EdRooney said:
I can speak for sure about my own experience, which was always to avoid a fee. Beyond that I can only suppose, and my intuition is that the gendarmes at the border have no clue about charging a fee for an overstayed visa. Since they started the overstay policy fee about four years ago I've crossed at various crossings to Bolivia and Uruguay and through Aeroparque. The only ones who seemed to be equipped to charge a fee or even know they should be charging one were the folks at Ezeiza.

But here's the question, if it's about getting your irregular documents back into order, why not just go from La Quiaca to Villazón and back in the same day? On the way back you can get your stamp, paperwork's now in order, and then head back to Bolivia with an extra $300 to blow on coca leaves and pique macho.

Ed

Actually, I'm not planning on returning (at least not anytime soon). My concern was not being able to cross easily for not having paid the fine in advance, but secondly if I can avoid paying the $300 that would be extremely helpful (tight budget). To that end, based on your experience, you suggest I should just skip the exit stamp line out of Arg, cross the bridge into Bolivia and get stamped in there (even though I already have the tourist visa)?? Thanks again!!!

FYI, I'm on my way through Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador and finally Colombia. But I'm not an experienced traveler. This will be my first serious venture, so I need to ask the basic questions. Now I know about pique macho. Can't wait to try it! Are the coca leaves good for anything other than avoiding the sickness??

Back