Cuban Customs Limits

In the same page of BBC news read about supermarkets in Cuba similar to what it was in Moscow under the Communist regime!!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28785420

Cuba: Where toilet paper can be rarer than partridge

Why does this article ring so many bells, I wonder?
Cuba introduces new customs limits

I'll never be an apologist for Cuba, but I will note that every country has restrictions on any quantity of consumer goods that exceed personal use. When I return to the US from Argentina, I have to fill out a customs declaration and, theoretically, pay duty on anything exceeding US$300 in value. I say "theoretically" because I am a non-shopper who rarely brings back anything more than a few bottles of wine.

I'll never be an apologist for Cuba, but I will note that every country has restrictions on any quantity of consumer goods that exceed personal use. When I return to the US from Argentina, I have to fill out a customs declaration and, theoretically, pay duty on anything exceeding US$300 in value. I say "theoretically" because I am a non-shopper who rarely brings back anything more than a few bottles of wine.

Your comments are as usual surprising??? does it compare with the US$300 restrictions 24 bras instead of 48...!!

Travelers will now be allowed to bring in 10kg (22lb) of detergent instead of 44kg and 24 bras instead of 48.
But four car tires and two flat-screen TVs will still be permitted.

Your comments are as usual surprising??? does it compare with the US$300 restrictions 24 bras instead of 48...!!

Travelers will now be allowed to bring in 10kg (22lb) of detergent instead of 44kg and 24 bras instead of 48.
But four car tires and two flat-screen TVs will still be permitted.

Every government does this. If you brought 44 kilos of detergent into the US, it might raise a different sort of red flag but, presuming that white powder was indeed detergent, there'd likely be no problem. Forty-eight bras, four car tires or two flat-screen TVs would probably mean paying duty anywhere (though there'd be little incentive to bring in any of these items to the US, where they're abundant and relatively cheap).

I'll bring back (to Argentina) as much as I can legally get away with.

I guess the real issue is not the actual limits of the quantities, but the fact that people import basic products like detergent...

Back